Lord / master / king / servant / slave / Rabbi / teacher in all of the NT - Matthew through Luke

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
lsayre

Re: Lord / master / king / servant / slave / Rabbi / teacher in all of the NT - Matthew through Luke

Post by lsayre »

I have downloaded all 3. Thank you!

Edit: Now all I need to do is brush up on the grep commands/options/features.
mlinssen

Re: Lord / master / king / servant / slave / Rabbi / teacher in all of the NT - Matthew through Luke

Post by mlinssen »

lsayre wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:57 pm I have downloaded all 3. Thank you!

Edit: Now all I need to do is brush up on the grep commands/options/features.
If you use bash, there's a feature / bug to it. If you're an old fart like me and use korn shell then you're all set with the following:

grep -ie "Nazar" -ie "Capernaum" -ie "Galile" -ie "Judea" -ie "^Chapter" -ie "^BOOK" < BereanLiteral.txt > MyOutput.txt

e = element, i = ignore-case.
The bash thing is that you need an -a switch or something, it tends to treat some files as binary. Or there was something with full-words, I forgot
Jax

Post by Jax »

Linux nerds unite! :D

We rule! :cheers:

Lhvw
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

mlinssen wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:40 am
If you use bash, there's a feature / bug to it. If you're an old fart like me and use korn shell then you're all set with the following:

grep -ie "Nazar" -ie "Capernaum" -ie "Galile" -ie "Judea" -ie "^Chapter" -ie "^BOOK" < BereanLiteral.txt > MyOutput.txt

e = element, i = ignore-case.
The bash thing is that you need an -a switch or something, it tends to treat some files as binary. Or there was something with full-words, I forgot
It works! Amazing. Thank you kindly!!! And I believe my Linux has the BASH Shell, and I didn't add the -a switch. As extracted two of the Bibles had spaces in their name, and I had to rename and kill the spaces.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

One small glitch:

For the ESV and WEB Bibles the book names all show up in a long list right at the top of the output file, and then the verses containing the search criteria show up without the benefit of knowing which book they came from.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

I added the -a switch, and nothing changed...
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

OK, it's working. The book and chapter are there and each verse containing the search criteria is listed by book and then chapter just as it should. I must have been blind a bit earlier.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Jax wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:21 pm Linux nerds unite! :D

Lhvw
PCLOS!
Well over a decade of use.
Choice of Champions!!!

CW
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

lsayre wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:58 pm OK, it's working. The book and chapter are there and each verse containing the search criteria is listed by book and then chapter just as it should. I must have been blind a bit earlier.
That's good to hear. Yeah I created a VB executable for myself so the filenames don't matter

Please run a test though, I remember now: it is the characters following a word that matter. So

Jesus,

will not be found when looking for Jesus.
Anyway, enjoy the stats
Jax

Post by Jax »

Charles Wilson wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:54 pm
Jax wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:21 pm Linux nerds unite! :D

Lhvw
PCLOS!
Well over a decade of use.
Choice of Champions!!!

CW
What's your UI?