Judean / jew /Hebrew in all of the NT

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Judean / jew /Hebrew in all of the NT

Post by mlinssen »

This is part of the series "all of the NT": search.php?keywords=All+of+the+nt&terms ... mit=Search

The word 'Jew' has been replaced by 'JUDEAN' (purposely in UPPERCASE) in order to see where Ἰουδαῖοι and its derivations have been selectively interpreted as Jew in stead of Judean - it is the very same word every single time, and the NT only has either Ἰουδαῖοι or Ἑβραίοι

One way to look for progression in development of ideas (in order to establishment priority / order) is to follow the evolution of a concept.
Here is a complete list from Berean Literal (with footnote references left intact) of every verse with the words Judea / JUDEAN / Hebrew in it:

BOOK OF Matthew
Chapter 1 The Genealogy of Jesus
Chapter 2 The Pilgrimage of the Magi
1 Now Jesus having been born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, Magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem,
2 saying, “Where is the One having been born King of the JUDEANs? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him.”
5 And they said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus has it been written through the prophet:
22 And having heard that Archelaus reigns over Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. And having been divinely warned in a dream, he withdrew into the district of Galilee.
Chapter 3 The Mission of John the Baptist
1 Now in those days John the Baptist comes, preaching in the wilderness of Judea,
5 At that time were going out to him Jerusalem, and all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan,
Chapter 4 The Temptation of Jesus
25 And there followed Him great crowds from Galilee, and the Decapolis,f and Jerusalem, and Judea, and beyond the Jordan.
Chapter 5 The Sermon on the Mount
Chapter 6 Giving to the Needy
Chapter 7 Do Not Judge
Chapter 8 The Leper's Prayer
Chapter 9 Jesus Heals a Paralytic
Chapter 10 The Twelve Apostles
Chapter 11 John's Inquiry
Chapter 12 The Lord of the Sabbath
Chapter 13 The Parable of the Sower
Chapter 14 The Beheading of John
Chapter 15 Tradition and Worship
Chapter 16 The Demand for a Sign
Chapter 17 The Transfiguration
Chapter 18 The Greatest in the Kingdom
Chapter 19 Teachings about Divorce
1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had finished these words, He withdrew from Galilee and came to the region of Judea, beyond the Jordan.
Chapter 20 The Parable of the Workers
Chapter 21 The Triumphal Entry
Chapter 22 The Parable of the Banquet
Chapter 23 Woes to Scribes and Pharisees
Chapter 24 Temple Destruction Foretold
16 then those in Judea, let them flee to the mountains;
Chapter 25 The Parable of the Ten Virgins
Chapter 26 The Plot to Kill Jesus
Chapter 27 Jesus Delivered to Pilate
11 Now Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor questioned Him, saying, “Are You the King of the JUDEANs?” And Jesus said, “You say.”
29 And having twisted together a crown of thorns, they put it on His head, and a reed in His right hand; and having bowed the knees before Him, they mocked Him, saying, “Hail, King of the JUDEANs!”
37 And they put up over His head the written accusation against Him: THIS IS JESUS, THE KING OF THE JUDEANS.
Chapter 28 The Resurrection
15 And having taken the money, they did as they were instructed. And this report is spread abroad among the JUDEANs until the present day. The Great Commission

BOOK OF Mark
Chapter 1 The Mission of John the Baptist
5 And all the region of Judea and all of Jerusalem were going out to him and were being baptized by him in the Jordan river, confessing their sins.
Chapter 2 Jesus Heals a Paralytic
Chapter 3 Jesus Heals on the Sabbath
7 And Jesus withdrew with His disciples to the sea, and a great multitude from Galilee followed, and from Judea,
Chapter 4 The Parable of the Sower
Chapter 5 The Demons and the Pigs
Chapter 6 The Rejection at Nazareth
Chapter 7 Tradition and Worship
3 For the Pharisees and all the JUDEANs do not eat unless they wash the hands carefully, holding the tradition of the elders;
Chapter 8 The Feeding of the Four Thousand
Chapter 9 The Transfiguration
Chapter 10 Teachings about Divorce
1 And from there having risen up, He comes into the region of Judea, and beyond the Jordan. And again crowds come together to Him, and again, as He had been accustomed, He was teaching them.
Chapter 11 The Triumphal Entry
Chapter 12 The Parable of the Wicked Tenants
44 For all cast in out of that which was abounding to them, but she out of her poverty cast in all, as much as she had of her whole livelihood.”
Chapter 13 Temple Destruction Foretold
14 And when you see the abomination of the desolation,a standing where it should notb (the one reading, let him understand), then those in Judea, let them flee to the mountains;
Chapter 14 The Plot to Kill Jesus
Chapter 15 Jesus Delivered to Pilate
2 And Pilate questioned Him, “Are You the King of the JUDEANs?” And answering, He says to him, “You have said.”
9 But Pilate answered them, saying, “Do you wish that I should release to you the King of the JUDEANs?”
12 And Pilate answering was saying to them again, “Then what do you wish that I should do to Him whom you call the King of the JUDEANs?”
18 and they began to salute Him, “Hail, King of the JUDEANs!”
26 And there was the inscription of the accusation against Him, having been written: THE KING OF THE JUDEANS.
Chapter 16 The Resurrection

BOOK OF Luke
Chapter 1 Dedication to Theophilus
5 There was in the days of Herod king of Judea a certain priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah, and his wife of the daughters of Aaron, and her name Elizabeth.
65 And fear came upon all those dwelling around them. And in all the hill country of Judea all these words were being talked about.
Chapter 2 The Birth of Jesus
4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee out of the town of Nazareth, to Judea, to the City of David, which is called Bethlehem, because of his being of the house and family of David,
Chapter 3 The Mission of John the Baptist
1 And in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip being tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and of Trachonitis, and Lysanias being tetrarch of Abilene,
Chapter 4 The Temptation of Jesus
41 And demons also were going out from many, crying out and saying, “You are the Son of God.” And rebuking them, He did not allow them to speak, because they knew Him to be the Christ. Jesus Preaches in Judea
44 And He was preaching in the synagogues of Judea.h
Chapter 5 The First Disciples
17 And it came to pass on one of the days that He was teaching, and Pharisees and teachers of the law were there sitting by, who were come out of every village of Galilee, and of Judea, and of Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was there for Him to heal.
Chapter 6 The Lord of the Sabbath
17 And having descended with them, He stood on a level place, and a large crowd of His disciples, and a great multitude of the people from all Judea, and Jerusalem, and the sea coast of Tyre and Sidon,
Chapter 7 The Faith of the Centurion
3 And having heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the JUDEANs to Him, begging Him that having come, He might save his servant.
17 And this report concerning Him went out in all Judea and all the surrounding region. John's Inquiry
Chapter 8 Women Minister to Jesus
Chapter 9 The Ministry of the Twelve
Chapter 10 Jesus Sends Out the Disciples
Chapter 11 The Lord's Prayer
Chapter 12 The Leaven of the Pharisees
59 I say to you, you shall never come out from there until you shall have paid even the last lepton.”f
Chapter 13 A Call to Repentance
Chapter 14 Jesus Heals a Man with Dropsy
Chapter 15 The Parable of the Lost Sheep
Chapter 16 The Parable of the Shrewd Manager
Chapter 17 Temptations and Trespasses
Chapter 18 The Persistent Widow
Chapter 19 Jesus and Zacchaeus
Chapter 20 Jesus' Authority Challenged
Chapter 21 The Poor Widow's Offering
21 Then those in Judea, let them flee to the mountains; and those in her midst, let them depart out; and those in the countries, let them not enter into her.
38 And all the people would come to Him early in the morning in the temple, to hear Him.
Chapter 22 The Plot to Kill Jesus
Chapter 23 Jesus Before Pilate
3 And Pilate questioned Him, saying, “Are You the King of the JUDEANs?” And answering him, He was saying, “You say.”
5 But they kept insisting, saying, “He stirs up the people, teaching throughout all of Judea, and He has begun from Galilee even to here.” Jesus Before Herod
37 and saying, “If You are the King of the JUDEANs, save Yourself!”
38 And there was also this inscriptione over Him: THE KING OF THE JUDEANS.
51 he was not having consented to their counsel and deed—from Arimathea, a city of the JUDEANs, who was waiting for the kingdom of God.
Chapter 24 The Resurrection

BOOK OF John
Chapter 1 The Beginning
19 And this is the testimony of John when the JUDEANs sent to him priests and Levites from Jerusalem, that they might ask him, “Who are you?”
Chapter 2 The Wedding at Cana
6 Now there were six stone water jars standing there, according to the purification of the JUDEANs, having space for two or three metretae.a
13 And the Passover of the JUDEANs was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
18 So the JUDEANs answered and said to Him, “What sign do You show to us that You do these things?”
20 Therefore the JUDEANs said, “This temple was built in forty and six years, and You will raise it up in three days?”
Chapter 3 Jesus and Nicodemus
1 And there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the JUDEANs.
22 After these things, Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He was staying with them, and was baptizing.
25 Then a debate arose among the disciples of John with a certain JUDEAN about purification.
Chapter 4 Jesus and the Samaritan Woman
3 He left Judea and went away again into Galilee.
9 Therefore the Samaritan woman says to Him, “How do You, being a JUDEAN, ask drink from me, being a Samaritan woman?” For JUDEANs have no association with Samaritans.
22 You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is of the JUDEANs.
47 Having heard that Jesus had come out of Judea into Galilee, he went to Him and was asking that He would come down and heal his son; for he was about to die.
54 This is now again the second sign that Jesus did, having come out of Judea into Galilee.
Chapter 5 The Pool of Bethesda
1 After these things there was a feast of the JUDEANs, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
2 Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Hebrew called Bethesda, having five porches.
10 Therefore the JUDEANs were saying to the one having been healed, “It is the Sabbath, and it is not lawful for you to take up your mat.”
15 The man went away and told the JUDEANs that Jesus is the One having made him well. The Father and the Son
16 And because of this, the JUDEANs were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath.
18 Therefore because of this, the JUDEANs were seeking the more to kill Him, because not only was He breaking the Sabbath, but also He was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal to God.
Chapter 6 The Feeding of the Five Thousand
4 Now the Passover, the feast of the JUDEANs, was near.
41 Therefore the JUDEANs were grumbling about Him because He said, “I am the bread having come down from heaven.”
52 Therefore the JUDEANs were arguing with one another, saying, “How is this man able to give us His flesh to eat?”
Chapter 7 Jesus Teaches at the Feast
1 And after these things, Jesus was walking in Galilee; for He did not desire to walk in Judea, because the JUDEANs were seeking to kill Him.
2 Now the feast of the JUDEANs, that of Booths, was near.
3 Therefore His brothers said to Him, “Depart from here and go into Judea, so that Your disciples will also see Your works that You are doing.
11 Therefore the JUDEANs were seeking Him at the feast, and were saying, “Where is He?”
13 But no one was speaking publicly about Him, because of the fear of the JUDEANs.
15 Then the JUDEANs were marveling, saying, “How does this one know such writings, not having studied?”
35 Therefore the JUDEANs said among themselves, “Where is He about to go that we will not find Him? Is He about to go to the Dispersion among the Greeks and to teach the Greeks?
44 Now some of them desired to seize Him, but no one laid the hands on Him. Unbelief of the JUDEANish Leaders
Chapter 8 The Woman Caught in Adultery
22 Therefore the JUDEANs were saying, “Will He kill Himself, that He says, ‘Where I go, you are not able to come’?”
31 Therefore Jesus was saying to the JUDEANs having believed in Him, “If you abide in My word, you are truly My disciples.
48 The JUDEANs answered and said to Him, “Are we not rightly saying that You are a Samaritan and have a demon?”
52 Therefore the JUDEANs said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon. Abraham and the prophets died, and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word, he shall never taste of death, to the age.’
57 Therefore the JUDEANs said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and You have seen Abraham?”
Chapter 9 Jesus Heals the Man Born Blind
18 Therefore the JUDEANs did not believe concerning him that he had been blind and had received sight, until they called the parents of him having received sight.
22 His parents said these things because they were afraid of the JUDEANs. For the JUDEANs already had agreed together that if anyone should confess Him Christ, he would be expelled from the synagogue.
Chapter 10 Jesus the Good Shepherd
19 Again there was division among the JUDEANs on account of these words.
21 Others were saying, “These are not the sayings of one possessed by a demon. Is a demon able to open the eyes of the blind?” The Unbelief of the JUDEANs
24 Therefore the JUDEANs encircled Him and were saying to Him, “Until when do You hold our soul in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”
31 Therefore the JUDEANs took up stones again, that they might stone Him.
33 The JUDEANs answered Him, “We do not stone You for a good work, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a man, make yourself God.”
Chapter 11 The Death of Lazarus
7 Then after this, He says to the disciples, “Let us go into Judea again.”
8 The disciples say to Him, “Rabbi, just now the JUDEANs were seeking to stone You, and You are going there again?”
19 and many of the JUDEANs had come unto Martha and Mary, that they might console them concerning the brother.
31 Then the JUDEANs being with her in the house and consoling her, having seen that Mary rose up quickly and went out, followed her, having supposed she is going to the tomb that she might weep there.
33 Therefore Jesus, when He saw her weeping and the JUDEANs having come with her weeping, was deeply moved in spiritb and Himself troubled.
36 Therefore the JUDEANs were saying, “Behold how He loved him!”
45 Therefore many of the JUDEANs having come to Mary, and having seen what He did, believed in Him.
54 Therefore Jesus no longer walked publicly among the JUDEANs, but went away from there into the region near the wilderness, to a city called Ephraim. And there He stayed with the disciples.
55 Now the Passover of the JUDEANs was near, and many went up to Jerusalem out of the region before the Passover, so that they might purify themselves.
Chapter 12 Mary Anoints Jesus
9 Therefore a great crowd of the JUDEANs knew that He is there; and they came, not only because of Jesus, but that they might see Lazarus also, whom He had raised out from the dead.
11 because on account of him many of the JUDEANs were going away and were believing in Jesus. The Triumphal Entry
Chapter 13 Jesus Washes His Disciples' Feet
33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. You will seek Me, and as I said to the JUDEANs, now I say also to you: ‘Where I go, you are not able to come.’
Chapter 14 Jesus Comforts the Disciples
Chapter 15 Jesus the True Vine
Chapter 16 Persecution Foretold
Chapter 17 Prayer for the Son
Chapter 18 The Betrayal of Jesus
12 Then the cohort and the commander and the officers of the JUDEANs took hold of Jesus and bound Him.
14 Now Caiaphas was the one having given counsel to the JUDEANs that it is profitable for one man to perish for the people. Peter's First Denial
20 Jesus answered him, “I have spoken openly to the world. I always taught in the synagogue and in the temple, where the JUDEANs always come together; and I spoke nothing in secret.
31 Therefore Pilate said to them, “Take Him yourselves and judge Him according to your Law.” The JUDEANs said to him, “It is not permitted to us to put anyone to death”—
33 Therefore Pilate entered again into the Praetorium, and he called Jesus and said to Him, “Are You the King of the JUDEANs?”
35 Pilate answered, “Am I a JUDEAN? Your nation and the chief priests delivered You to me. What have You done?”
36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world; if My kingdom were of this world, My attendants would fight that I might not be betrayed to the JUDEANs. But now My kingdom is not from here.”
38 Pilate says to Him, “What is truth?” And having said this, he went out again to the JUDEANs and says to them, “I find no guilt in Him.
39 But it is your custom that I should release to you one at the Passover; therefore do you wish I should release to you the King of the JUDEANs?”
Chapter 19 The Soldiers Mock Jesus
3 And they began coming up to Him and saying, “Hail, King of the JUDEANs!” And they kept giving Him blows with the palm.
7 The JUDEANs answered him, “We have a law, and according to the law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God.”
12 Out of this, Pilate was seeking to release Him; but the JUDEANs cried out, saying, “If you release this man, you are not a friend of Caesar. Everyone making himself a king speaks against Caesar.”
13 Therefore Pilate, having heard these words, brought Jesus out and sat down upon the judgment seat at a place called The Stone Pavement, and in Hebrew, Gabbatha.
14 Now it was the Day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about the sixth hour. And he says to the JUDEANs, “Behold your king!”
17 And bearing His own cross, He went out to the place called the Place of the Skull, which in Hebrew is called Golgotha,
19 And Pilate also wrote a title and put it on the cross. And it was written, JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JUDEANS.
20 Therefore many of the JUDEANs read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek.
21 Therefore the chief priests of the JUDEANs were saying to Pilate, “Do not write, ‘The King of the JUDEANs,’ but that He said, ‘I am King of the JUDEANs.’”
31 Therefore the JUDEANs, because it was the Preparation, so that bodies would not remain on the cross on the Sabbath—for that Sabbath was a high day—asked Pilate that their legs might be broken and they might be taken away.
38 And after these things, Joseph from Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but concealed through the fear of the JUDEANs, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus; and Pilate gave permission. So he came and took away His body.
40 So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen cloths, with the spices, as is the custom among the JUDEANs to prepare for burial.
42 So on account of the Preparation of the JUDEANs, because the tomb was near, they laid Jesus there.
Chapter 20 The Resurrection
16 Jesus says to her, “Mary.” Having turned around, she says to Him in Hebrew, “Rabboni,” that is to say, “Teacher.”
19 Therefore it being evening the same day, the first of the week, and the doors where the disciples were having been shut through the fear of the JUDEANs, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and He says to them, “Peace to you.”
Chapter 21 Jesus Appears at the Sea of Galilee

BOOK OF Acts
Chapter 1 Prologue
8 But you will receive power, the Holy Spirit having come upon you, and you will be witnesses for Me, both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the uttermost part of the earth.”
Chapter 2 The Holy Spirit at Pentecost
5 Now there were JUDEANs dwelling in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven.
9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites; and those inhabiting Mesopotamia, also Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,a
11 both JUDEANs and converts; Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the great things of God!”
14 But Peter, having stood up with the eleven, lifted up his voice and spoke forth to them: “Men of Judea and all those inhabiting Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give heed to my words.
Chapter 3 A Lame Man Walks
Chapter 4 Peter and John Before the Council
Chapter 5 Ananias and Sapphira
Chapter 6 The Choosing of the Seven
1 Now in these days when the disciples are multiplying, there arose a grumbling of the Hellenists against the Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution.
Chapter 7 Stephen's Address to the Sanhedrin
Chapter 8 Saul Persecutes the Church
1 And Saul was there consenting to his killing. And on that day a great persecution arose against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria.
Chapter 9 The Road to Damascus
22 But Saul was empowered all the more and kept confounding the JUDEANs dwelling in Damascus, proving that this is the Christ. The Escape from Damascus
23 Now when many days had passed, the JUDEANs plotted together to kill him,
31 Then indeed the churches throughout all of Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace, being edified. And going on in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied. The Healing of Aeneas
Chapter 10 Cornelius Sends for Peter
22 And they said, “Cornelius a centurion, a righteous and God fearing man—and being well testified to by the whole nation of the JUDEANs—was divinely instructed by a holy angel to send for you to his house and to hear a message from you.”
28 And he was saying to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a JUDEAN to unite himself or to come near to a foreigner. But God has shown me not to call any man common or unclean.
37 You yourselves know the declaration having come through all Judea, having begun from Galilee, after the baptism that John proclaimed:
39 And we are witnesses of all things that He did, both in the region of the JUDEANs and in Jerusalem, whom they also put to death, having hanged Him on a tree.
Chapter 11 Peter's Report at Jerusalem
1 Now the apostles and the brothers being in Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God.
19 So indeed those having been scattered by the tribulation having taken place over Stephen passed through to Phoenicia and Cyprus and Antioch, speaking the word to no one except to JUDEANs alone.
29 And the disciples, as anyone was prospered, each of them determined to send for ministry to the brothers dwelling in Judea,
Chapter 12 James Killed, Peter Imprisoned
3 And having seen that it is pleasing to the JUDEANs, he proceeded to take Peter also—now these were the days of the Unleavened Bread—
11 And having come to himself, Peter said, “Now I know truly that the Lord has sent forth His angel and delivered me out of the hand of Herod and all the expectation of the people of the JUDEANs.”
19 And Herod having sought after him and not having found him, having examined the guards, commanded them to be led away to death. And having gone down from Judea to Caesarea, he stayed there. The Death of Herod
Chapter 13 Paul's First Missionary Journey
5 And having come into Salamis, they began proclaiming the word of God in the synagogues of the JUDEANs. And they also had John as a helper.
6 Now having passed through the whole island as far as Paphos, they found a certain magician, a JUDEANish false prophet whose name was Bar-Jesus,
43 And the synagogue having broken up, many of the JUDEANs and worshipping converts followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, kept persuading them to continue in the grace of God.
45 But the JUDEANs, having seen the crowds, were filled with jealousy, and began contradicting the things spoken by Paul, blaspheming.
50 But the JUDEANs incited the worshipping women of honorable position and the principals of the city, and they stirred up a persecution against Paul and Barnabas and expelled them from their district.
Chapter 14 Paul and Barnabas at Iconium
1 Now it came to pass in Iconium, according to the same, they entered into the synagogue of the JUDEANs and spoke so that a great number of both JUDEANish and Greeks believed.
2 But the unbelieving JUDEANs stirred up and poisoned the minds of the Gentiles against the brothers.
4 Now the multitude of the city was divided, and indeed some were with the JUDEANs, but some with the apostles.
5 And when there was a rush both of the Gentiles and JUDEANs, with their rulers, to mistreat and to stone them,
19 But JUDEANs came from Antioch and Iconium, and having persuaded the crowds, and having stoned Paul, they dragged him outside the city, supposing him to have died.
Chapter 15 The Dispute over Circumcision
1 But certain ones having come down from Judea were teaching the brothers, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you are not able to be saved.”
Chapter 16 Timothy Joins Paul and Silas
1 And he came also to Derbe and to Lystra. And behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a believing JUDEANish woman and a Greek father,
3 Paul wanted this one to go forth with him, and having taken him, he circumcised him on account of the JUDEANs being in those parts; for they all knew that his father was a Greek.
20 And having brought them up to the magistrates, they said, “These men, being JUDEANs, exceedingly trouble our city
Chapter 17 Paul Preaches at Thessalonica
1 And having passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the JUDEANs.
5 Now the JUDEANs having become jealous, and having taken to them certain wicked men of the market-loungers, and having collected a crowd, set the city in uproar. And having assailed the house of Jason, they were seeking them to bring out to the people.
10 And the brothers sent away both Paul and Silas immediately by night to Berea, who having arrived, went into the synagogue of the JUDEANs.
13 But when the JUDEANs from Thessalonica learned that the word of God also was proclaimed by Paul in Berea, they came there also, stirring up and agitating the crowds.
17 So indeed he was reasoning in the synagogue with the JUDEANs and those worshiping, and in the marketplace on every day with those meeting him.
Chapter 18 Paul's Ministry in Corinth
2 And having found a certain JUDEAN named Aquila, a native of Pontus, and Priscilla his wife, recently having come from Italy because of Claudius having commanded all the JUDEANs to depart out of Rome, he came to them,
4 And he was reasoning in the synagogue on every Sabbath, persuading both JUDEANs and Greeks.
5 Now when both Silas and Timothy came down from Macedonia, Paul was occupied with the word, earnestly testifying to the JUDEANs Jesus to be the Christ.
12 But Gallio being proconsul of Achaia, the JUDEANs with one accord rose up against Paul and led him to the judgment seat,
14 Now Paul being about to open the mouth, Gallio said to the JUDEANs, “If indeed it was some unrighteousness or wicked crime, O JUDEANs, according to reason I would have endured with you.
19 Now they came to Ephesus, and left them there. And he himself having entered into the synagogue, reasoned with the JUDEANs.
24 Now a certain JUDEAN named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus, being an eloquent man, mighty in the Scriptures.
28 For he was powerfully refuting the JUDEANs publicly, showing by the Scriptures Jesus to be the Christ.
Chapter 19 The Holy Spirit Received at Ephesus
10 And this continued for two years, so that all those inhabiting Asia heard the word of the Lord, both JUDEANs and Greeks.
13 Now some of the itinerant JUDEANs, exorcists, also attempted to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those having evil spirits, saying, “I adjure you by Jesus, whom Paul proclaims.”
14 And seven sons of Sceva, a JUDEANish high priest, were doing this.
17 Now this became known to all those inhabiting Ephesus, both JUDEANs and Greeks. And fear fell upon them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was being magnified.
33 Now out of the crowd they put forward Alexander, the JUDEANs having thrust him forward. And Alexander, having motioned with the hand, was wanting to make a defense to the people.
34 But having recognized that he is a JUDEAN, there was one cry from all, ongoing about two hours, crying out, “Great is Artemis of the Ephesians.”
Chapter 20 Paul in Macedonia and Greece
3 And having continued three months, a plot having been made against him by the JUDEANs, he being about to sail into Syria, a purpose arose to return through Macedonia.
19 serving the Lord with all humility and tears, and trials having befallen me in the plots of the JUDEANs;
21 earnestly testifying both to the JUDEANish and to Greeks repentance in God and faith in our Lord Jesus.b
Chapter 21 Paul's Journey to Jerusalem
10 And remaining many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea.
11 And having come to us and having taken Paul’s belt, having bound his feet and hands, he said, “Thus the Holy Spirit says, ‘In this way the JUDEANs in Jerusalem will bind the man whose belt this is, and will deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’”
20 And those having heard began glorifying God, and they said to him, “You see, brother, how many myriads there are among the JUDEANs having believed, and are all zealous ones for the Law.
21 Now they have been informed about you, that you teach all JUDEANs among the Gentiles apostasy from Moses, telling them not to circumcise the children nor to walk in the customs.
27 Now when the seven days were about to be completed, the JUDEANs from Asia, having seen him in the temple, began stirring up the whole crowd and laid the hands upon him,
39 But Paul said, “I am indeed a JUDEAN, a man of Tarsus of Cilicia, a citizen of no insignificant city. Now I implore you, allow me to speak to the people.”
40 And he having allowed him, Paul, having stood on the stairs, made a sign with the hand to the people. And great silence having taken place, he spoke to them in the Hebrew language,a saying:
Chapter 22 Paul's Defense to the Crowd
2 And having heard that he was addressing them in the Hebrew language,a they became even more quiet. And he says,
3 “I am a JUDEAN, a man born in Tarsus of Cilicia and brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, having been instructed according to the exactness of the Law of our Fathers, being a zealous one of God, even as you all are this day,
12 And a certain Ananias, a devout man according to the Law, borne witness to by all the JUDEANs dwelling there,
30 And on the next day, desiring to know for certain why he is accused by the JUDEANs, he unbound him and commanded the chief priests and the whole council to assemble. And having brought down Paul, he set him among them.
Chapter 23 Paul Before the Sanhedrin
12 Then when it was day, the JUDEANs having made a conspiracy, put themselves under an oath, declaring neither to eat nor to drink until they should kill Paul.
20 And he said, “The JUDEANs have agreed to ask you that you might bring down Paul into the Council tomorrow, as being about to inquire something more earnestly about him.
27 This man having been seized by the JUDEANs and being about to be killed by them, having come up with the troop, I rescued him, having learned that he is a Roman.
Chapter 24 Tertullus Prosecutes Paul
5 For we are having found this man a pest, and stirring insurrection among all the JUDEANs in the world, and a leader of the sect of the Nazarenes
9 And the JUDEANs also agreed, declaring these things to be so. Paul's Defense to Felix
18 during which they found me purified in the temple, not with a crowd nor in tumult. But there are some JUDEANs from Asia
24 Then after some days, Felix, having arrived with the own wife Drusilla, being a JUDEANess, sent for Paul and heard him concerning the faith in Christ Jesus.
27 But two years having been completed, Felix received Porcius Festus as successor, and wishing to acquire for himself favor with the JUDEANs, Felix left Paul imprisoned.
Chapter 25 Paul's Trial Before Festus
2 And the chief priests and the chiefs of the JUDEANs made a presentation before him against Paul, and they were begging him,
7 And he having arrived, the JUDEANs having come down from Jerusalem stood around him, bringing many and weighty charges, which they were not able to prove.
8 Paul made his defense: “Neither against the law of the JUDEANs, nor against the temple, nor against Caesar, have I sinned in anything.”
9 But Festus, wishing to lay a favor on the JUDEANs, answering, said to Paul, “Are you willing, having gone up to Jerusalem, to be judged before me there concerning these things?” The Appeal to Caesar
10 And Paul said, “I am standing before the judgment seat of Caesar, where it behooves me to be judged. I have done nothing wrong to the JUDEANs, as you also know very well.
15 concerning whom, on my having been in Jerusalem, the chief priests and the elders of the JUDEANs made a presentation, asking judgment against him,
24 And Festus says, “King Agrippa and all men being present with us, you see this one concerning whom the whole multitude of the JUDEANs pleaded with me, both in Jerusalem and here, crying out of him that he ought not to live any longer.
Chapter 26 Paul's Testimony to Agrippa
2 “Concerning all of which I am accused by the JUDEANs, King Agrippa, I esteem myself fortunate before you, being about to defend myself today,
3 you being especially acquainted with all the customs and also controversies of the JUDEANs. Therefore I implore you to hear me patiently.
4 Then indeed all the JUDEANs know my manner of life which is from youth, having been from its beginning among my own nation and in Jerusalem,
7 to which our twelve tribes hope to attain, serving in earnestness night and day, the hope concerning which I am accused by the JUDEANs, O king.
14 And of all of us having fallen down to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew language,a ‘Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’
20 but both first to those in Damascus and Jerusalem, and all the region of Judea, and to the Gentiles, I kept declaring to repent and to turn to God, doing works worthy of repentance.
21 On account of these things the JUDEANs, having seized me being in the temple, were attempting to kill me.
Chapter 27 Paul Sails for Rome
Chapter 28 Ashore on Malta
17 And it came to pass after three days, he called together those being leaders of the JUDEANs. And of them having come together, he was saying to them, “Men, brothers, having done nothing against the people or the customs of our fathers, I was delivered from Jerusalem a prisoner into the hands of the Romans,
19 But of the JUDEANs objecting, I was compelled to appeal to Caesar, not as having anything to lay against my nation.
21 Then they said to him, “We received neither letters concerning you from Judea, nor any of the brothers having arrived reported or said anything evil concerning you.
31 proclaiming the kingdom of God and teaching the things concerning the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness, unhinderedly.

BOOK OF Romans
Chapter 1 Greeting the Saints in Rome
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone believing—both to JUDEANish first, and to Greek.
Chapter 2 God's Righteous Judgment
9 tribulation and distress upon every soul of man working evil, both of JUDEANish first, and also of Greek;
10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone doing good, both to JUDEANish first, and to Greek.
16 on that day when God will judge the secrets of men according to my gospel, by Christ Jesus. The JUDEANs and the Law
17 But if you are called a JUDEAN and rely on the Law and boast in God,
28 For the one on the outside a JUDEAN is not, neither that on the outside in flesh is circumcision.
29 But he who is a JUDEAN is one on the inside; and circumcision is of heart, in spirit, not in letter, of whom the praise is not of men, but of God.
Chapter 3 God Remains Faithful
1 What then is the superiority of the JUDEAN? Or what is the benefit of the circumcision?
9 What then? Are we better? Not at all. For we have already charged both JUDEANs and Greeks all to be under sin.
29 Or is He the God of JUDEANs only, not also of Gentiles? Yes, also of Gentiles,
Chapter 4 Abraham Justified by Faith
Chapter 5 The Triumph of Faith
Chapter 6 Dead to Sin, Alive to God
Chapter 7 Release from the Law
Chapter 8 Living in the Spirit
Chapter 9 Paul's Concern for the JUDEANs
24 even us, whom He has called not only out from the JUDEANs, but also out from the Gentiles?
Chapter 10 The Word Brings Salvation
12 For there is no difference between JUDEAN and Greek; for the same Lord of all is rich toward all those calling Him,
Chapter 11 The Remnant of Israel
Chapter 12 Living Sacrifices
Chapter 13 Submission to Authorities
Chapter 14 The Law of Liberty
Chapter 15 Accept One Another
6 so that with one accord, with one mouth, you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Christ the Servant of JUDEANs and Gentiles
31 so that I may be delivered from those refusing to be persuaded in Judea, and that my service in Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints,
Chapter 16 Personal Greetings and Love

BOOK OF 1 Corinthians
Chapter 1 Greetings from Paul
22 Forasmuch as both JUDEANs ask for signs, and Greeks seek wisdom,
23 we, however, preach Christ having been crucified, a stumbling block indeed to the JUDEANish and foolishness to Gentiles,
24 but those called, both JUDEANs and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
Chapter 2 Paul's Message by the Spirit's Power
Chapter 3 God's Fellow Workers
Chapter 4 Servants of Christ
Chapter 5 Immorality Rebuked
Chapter 6 Lawsuits among Believers
Chapter 7 Principles of Marriage
Chapter 8 Food Sacrificed to Idols
Chapter 9 The Rights of an Apostle
20 And to the JUDEANs I became like a JUDEAN, so that I might win the JUDEANs. To those under the Law, as under the Law (myself not being under the Law) so that I might win those under the Law.
Chapter 10 Warnings from Israel's Past
32 Be you without offense both to JUDEANs and Greeks, and to the church of God—
Chapter 11 Roles in Worship
Chapter 12 Spiritual Gifts
13 For also in one Spirit we all were baptized into one body, whether JUDEANs or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink one Spirit.
Chapter 13 Love
Chapter 14 Prophecy and Tongues
Chapter 15 The Resurrection of Christ
Chapter 16 The Collection for the Saints

BOOK OF 2 Corinthians
Chapter 1 Paul Greets the Corinthians
16 and through you to pass through into Macedonia, and to come to you again from Macedonia, and to be set forward by you to Judea.
Chapter 2 Reaffirm Your Love
Chapter 3 Ministers of a New Covenant
Chapter 4 The Light of the Gospel
Chapter 5 Our Eternal Dwelling
Chapter 6 Paul's Hardships and God's Grace
Chapter 7 Paul's Joy in the Corinthians
Chapter 8 Generosity Commended
Chapter 9 God Loves a Cheerful Giver
Chapter 10 Paul's Apostolic Authority
Chapter 11 Paul and the False Apostles
22 Are they Hebrews? I also. Are they Israelites? I also. Are they descendants of Abraham? I also.
24 Five times I received from the JUDEANs the forty lashes minus one.
Chapter 12 Paul's Revelation
Chapter 13 Examine Yourselves

BOOK OF Galatians
Chapter 1 Paul's Greeting to the Galatians
22 And I was by face unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ.
Chapter 2 The Council at Jerusalem
13 And also the rest of the JUDEANs acted hypocritically with him, so that, by their hypocrisy, even Barnabas was carried away.
14 But when I saw that they are not walking in line according to the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before all, “If you being a JUDEAN live like a Gentile, and not like a JUDEAN, why do you compel the Gentiles to Judaize?
15 We JUDEANs by birth and not ‘sinners’ of the Gentiles,
21 I do not set aside the grace of God. For if righteousness is through the Law, then Christ died for naught.”d
Chapter 3 Faith and Belief
28 There is neither JUDEAN nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Chapter 4 Sons and Heirs
Chapter 5 Freedom in Christ
Chapter 6 Carry One Another's Burdens

BOOK OF Ephesians
Chapter 1 Paul's Greeting to the Ephesians
Chapter 2 Alive with Christ
Chapter 3 The Mystery of the Gospel
Chapter 4 Unity in the Body
Chapter 5 Imitators of God
Chapter 6 Children and Parents

BOOK OF Philippians
Chapter 1 Greetings from Paul and Timothy
Chapter 2 One in Christ
Chapter 3 Righteousness through Faith
5 circumcision on the eighth day; of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin; a Hebrew of Hebrews; according to the Law, a Pharisee;
Chapter 4 Stand Firm in the Lord

BOOK OF Colossians
Chapter 2 Absent in Body, Present in Spirit
Chapter 3 Putting on the New Self
11 where there is not Greek and JUDEAN, circumcision and uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, slave, and free; but Christ is all and in all.
Chapter 4 Fellow Workers

BOOK OF 1 Thessalonians
Chapter 1 Greetings to the Thessalonians
Chapter 2 Paul's Ministry
14 For you became imitators, brothers, of the churches of God in Judea being in Christ Jesus. For the same as them, you also suffered from the own countrymen as they also did from the JUDEANs,
Chapter 3 Timothy's Visit
Chapter 4 Living to Please God
Chapter 5 The Day of the Lord

BOOK OF 2 Thessalonians
Chapter 1 Greetings to the Thessalonians
Chapter 2 The Man of Lawlessness
Chapter 3 Request for Prayer

BOOK OF 1 Timothy
Chapter 1 Paul's Greeting to Timothy
Chapter 2 A Call to Prayer
Chapter 3 Qualifications for Overseers
Chapter 4 Warnings against False Teachers
Chapter 5 Guidelines for Reproof
Chapter 6 Instructions to Servants

BOOK OF 2 Timothy
Chapter 1 Paul's Greeting to Timothy
Chapter 2 Grace and Perseverance
Chapter 3 Evil in the Last Days
Chapter 4 Preach the Word

BOOK OF Titus
Chapter 1 Paul's Greeting to Titus
14 not giving heed to JUDEANish myths and the commandments of men turning away from the truth.
Chapter 2 Teaching Sound Doctrine
Chapter 3 Obedience to Authorities

BOOK OF Philemon

BOOK OF Hebrews
Chapter 1 The Supremacy of the Son
Chapter 2 Salvation Confirmed
Chapter 3 Jesus Our Apostle and High Priest
Chapter 4 The Sabbath Rest
Chapter 5 The Perfect High Priest
Chapter 6 A Call to Maturity
Chapter 7 Melchizedek and Abraham
Chapter 8 Christ's Eternal Priesthood
Chapter 9 The Earthly Tabernacle
Chapter 10 Christ's Perfect Sacrifice
Chapter 11 Faith and Assurance
Chapter 12 The Call to Endurance
Chapter 13 Love for Brothers

BOOK OF James
Chapter 1 Greetings from James
Chapter 2 A Warning against Favoritism
Chapter 3 Taming the Tongue
Chapter 4 Warning against Pride
Chapter 5 Warning to the Rich

BOOK OF 1 Peter
Chapter 1 Greetings from Peter
Chapter 2 The Lord is Good
Chapter 3 Wives and Husbands
Chapter 4 Living for God's Glory
Chapter 5 Instructions to Elders

BOOK OF 2 Peter
Chapter 1 Greetings from Peter
Chapter 2 Deliverance from False Prophets
Chapter 3 The Coming Judgment

BOOK OF 1 John
Chapter 1 The Word of Life
Chapter 2 Jesus Our Advocate
Chapter 3 Children of God
Chapter 4 Testing the Spirits
Chapter 5 Overcoming the World

BOOK OF 2 John
Chapter 1 Greeting from the Elder

BOOK OF 3 John
Chapter 1 Greeting to Gaius from the Elder

BOOK OF Jude
Chapter 1 Greetings from Jude

BOOK OF Revelation
Chapter 1 Prologue
Chapter 2 To the Church in Ephesus
9 I know your tribulation and poverty—but you are rich—and the blasphemy of those claiming themselves to be JUDEANs and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
Chapter 3 To the Church in Sardis
9 Behold, I give those from the synagogue of Satan—those declaring themselves to be JUDEANs, and are not, but they lie—behold, I will cause them that they will come and will worship before your feet, and they shall know that I have loved you.
Chapter 4 The Throne in Heaven
Chapter 5 The Scroll with Seven Seals
Chapter 6 The First Seal: The White Horse
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 The Seventh Seal
Chapter 9 The Fifth Trumpet
11 They have a king over them, the angel of the abyss. His name in Hebrew is Abaddon,a and in the Greek, he has the name Apollyon.b
Chapter 10 The Angel and the Small Scroll
Chapter 11 The Two Witnesses
Chapter 12 The Woman and the Dragon
Chapter 13 The Beast from the Sea
Chapter 14 The Lamb and the 144,000
Chapter 15 The Song of Moses and the Lamb
Chapter 16 The First Six Bowls of Wrath
16 And he gathered them together unto the place called in Hebrew Armageddon. The Seventh Bowl of Wrath
Chapter 17 The Woman on the Beast
Chapter 18 Babylon is Fallen
Chapter 19 Rejoicing in Heaven
Chapter 20 Satan Bound
Chapter 21 A New Heaven and a New Earth
Chapter 22 The River of Life
Last edited by mlinssen on Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlinssen

Re: Judean / jew /Hebrew in all of the NT

Post by mlinssen »

And the interesting thing is, when we limit ourselves to the Synoptics, that only Mark 7:3 and Luke 7:3 (sic) treat Ἰουδαῖοι as meaning Judaic

And once again we witness the extreme differences between one text and the other, and if you ever had doubts about John belonging to the four gospels...
It seems evident that John is vehemently and ferociously anti-Judaic and the JUDEAN in there hardly ever translates to Judean, but always to Judaic

Is it John perhaps that is the very first gospel built on top of Thomas? Did marcion / *Ev water him down into "Luke"? Why is he FISRT in the order that Irenaeus mentions?
How come John puts such an incredibly heavy emphasis on Judaics?

We can safely ignore Acts as usual, and Romans ff is guaranteed to be meant to be about Judaics.
And if you ever thought that John also wrote Revelation...
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Those are some interesting visual patterns, I especially found the distribution in Matthew intriguing.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

perseusomega9 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:27 am Those are some interesting visual patterns, I especially found the distribution in Matthew intriguing.
You're welcome. I have just gone by all 11 of the search topics and preceded the first of each by

This is part of the series "all of the NT": search.php?keywords=All+of+the+nt&terms ... mit=Search

Textual criticism in bird's eye view. Especially cross comparing some of these leads to highly interesting patterns
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Very interesting. Thanks Martijn! :cheers:

Lane
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Hebrew is almost always used as reference a language. It's use as a translation is meant to convey antiquity of the religion, and being originally from the Jewish Hebrew speakers (although the text is Aramaic).

Looking at other uses of Hebrew, there are three main possibilities:
1) generally meaning natives of the Palestinian region
2) so called Jewish Christians (possibly in the two references in Paul)
3) possibly a split between those who hold the LXX as authoritative (Helenists) and those who hold the Hebrew bible as authoritative (Hebrews).
// note it is very possible Jewish Christians (e.g., Matthew gospel) vs Greek Christians (more Pauline) could have an element of this too,

In one verse in Acts 6:1 Hebrews are generally interpreted as Palestinian Jews, but I think this is wrong. In fact the phrase in the back half of the verse appears to be an unattached fragment. I would speculate it's an element left over from a source document used by the author to set up Stephen's speech. The fragment is never explained, nor is the issue ever resolved, never even mentioned after it's introduction (which is why I think it's a loose fragment from another document). The issue of the dispute is the daily bread serving to the widows. This is a very Christian dispute.

Widows are describe in the Tabitha/Dorcus story (Acts 9:36-42). The widows seem to be nuns, as in verse 9:41 they are referred to along with the saints (presumably males) with Tabitha/Dorcus being their beloved sister, described herself as a disciple and one who does good works and charity; the basic outlines of a nun. However in 1 Timothy 5:3-16 we see the other side of the issue, opponents of the order of widows, who separate the "truly widows", that is those who were married and who lost their husband, especially those over age 60, and those who have chosen the encratic lifestyle of a nun. The former is to be given charity and food, the latter not, and in fact told to get married (5:14). 1 Timothy definitely takes the anti-nun position of the Hebrews in Acts 6:1. This dispute is also likely in mind for the author of Luke 20:47 (Pharisee in John and parts of Luke look strikingly like Jewish Christian clergy) and Luke 21:2-3 and the parallels in Mark 12:40-43. Note, 1 Corinthians 7:8 opposes 1 Timothy 5:14.

Based on the subject matter of the dispute over the widows, the evidence seems to suggest that despite the location being Palestine, the Hebrews in question are really Jewish Christians of later era anachronistically placed back in the first century. It would be fascinating to have seen the original dispute played out in the lost apocryphal Acts used for that story. But we'll never know, since instead we have the Stephen story.

Jew/Judean also has different meaning dependent upon the author. In John especially it is a stand-in for Jewish Christian opponents. But in Acts a Judean is just that, no stand-in. A lot of variance in meaning and intent for this word across the NT.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Indeed, Stuart. The interesting thing in Philip is that he refers to Hebrews in an ethnic way; Paterson Brown:

6 In the days when we were Hebrews we were left fatherless¹, having only our Mother (the Sacred Spiritº). Yet when we became Christics (Messianicsº), Father came to be with Mother for us

What Brown interprets with Christics here literally says Xrhstianoi: so Judaics became Chrestians. 6 occurrences of Hebrew in Philip, only 1 denotes linguistics

https://metalogos.org/files/philip.html for the whole gospel; beware that it is very biased and Christian coloured - yet the hyperlinear is invaluable

I'd be much obliged if someone traversed the entire NHL for the word ϩⲉⲃⲣⲁⲓⲟⲥ...