The Next Level in the ΙΣ theory

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

The Next Level in the ΙΣ theory

Post by Secret Alias »

Every once and a while in the study of anything, you have a moment which takes you full circle to the place you began. In my case, one of the first books that 'got me into' Biblical Studies - James H Charlesworth's The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha (a 2 Volume set) - had a fascinating entry for the Prayer of Joseph where he noted (among other things) the play on words that exists at Genesis 32:28 between Jacob's action ('struggling' with God) and his change of name. In Hebrew and Aramaic there is a play on the word 'contend.' In Hebrew the verb translated “you have fought” (שָׂרִיתָ, sarita) sounds like the name “Israel” (יִשְׂרָאֵל, yisraʾel), meaning “God fights." The same thing is found in the Aramaic Targums. There is even an angel 'Sariel' that fits into these discussions.

However the angel who contends with Jacob is most consistently identified as איש. As such no direct word play exists in Hebrew or Aramaic between the name 'Israel' and 'Ish.' We already know of course that Philo and the early Church Fathers pointed to the similarity between the Greek Ισραήλ and ΙΣ. All the early Church Fathers 'bought into' Philo's mysticism about the fact that the 'man seeing God' was Jacob seeing ΙΣ. Philo also takes interest in a number of passages Samaritans and Jews saw the Hebrew word איש (man) and said 'this isn't an ordinary man but the angel that appears throughout the Pentateuch and Joshua which had a special relationship with both God and Israel.

Yet what occurred to me yesterday was something much more profound. The same word play that exists between Jacob 'contending' with the angelic 'man' exists in the Greek and was used by Philo with some special mysticism. It might even have been used by the Church Fathers. The problem was that I started working on it, going through the Greek MSS of Philo at a thread I was developing at this forum, went out to train my son and I got really tired (even though I only get the balls and my son does all the hard work running around outside the box he is much younger than I am). I was so tired I wiped out the whole list when I reached the maximum on another list within the thread. Anyway I had to start from scratch (which is probably better) developing a separate thread for this idea.

Here is the pertinent passage of Gen 32:28 LXX:

εἶπεν δὲ αὐτῷ οὐ κληθήσεται ἔτι τὸ ὄνομά σου Ιακωβ ἀλλὰ Ισραηλ ἔσται τὸ ὄνομά σου ὅτι ἐνίσχυσας μετὰ θεοῦ καὶ μετὰ ἀνθρώπων δυνατός

The (proposed) word play is between 'ἐνίσχυσας' (the equivalent of שָׂרִיתָ) and Ισραηλ (and ultimately ΙΣ). The significance of this passage is most explicitly confirmed in the surviving Armenian text of Questions and Answers on Exodus where Philo discusses the garb of the high priest:
108. (Ex. xxviii. 7) " Why are the two shoulder-pieces,* which are joined together, attached in two parts ? '^

The shoulder-pieces "* designate serious labours,* for they are a part of the sacred garment, and sacred things are serious.^ And there are two " forms of labour : one is the desire of pleasing ^ God, and of piety * ; the other is being beneficent to men, which is called kindness and love of man.^ He therefore exhorts (us) to devote ourselves to every labour and to put our shoulders to it.'' The theologian ' wishes (these) two things to be known in order that what has been said in another place '" may be confirmed by deeds, (namely) " With God thou wast strong and with men thou shalt have power (ἐνίσχυσας μετὰ θεοῦ καὶ μετὰ ἀνθρώπων δυνατός)." « But of the two shoulder-pieces one must be on the right, and the other on the left. Now the one on the right was given its place for the sake of pleasing God — a labour worthy of zeal, while that on the left (was given its place) for the sake of helpfulness to men and for kindness of thought concerning them.''
The high priest of course is for Philo the living image of the Logos, the perfect man (just like 'Israel/Jacob' after he wrestles with ΙΣ). Clearly the ΙΣ = the Logos just like in the opening words of the gospel of John.

The fact that Eusebius cites the entire passage from Gen 32:28 LXX as it pertains to the figure known as 'Jesus' but appears in the manuscripts as ΙΣ (with overbar) is particularly relevant. I will try and prove that he was following a tradition passed on by Philo but which likely went back to the earliest users of the 'Greek Targum' (LXX) shares by their fellow Hebrews who employed the Hebrew and Aramaic that ἐνίσχυσας is related to ΙΣ:
Moses most clearly proclaims him second Lord after the Father, when he says, The Lord rained upon Sodom and Gomorrha brimstone and fire from the Lord. Genesis 19:24 The divine Scripture also calls him God, when he appeared again to Jacob in the form of a man, and said to Jacob, Your name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel shall be your name, because you have prevailed with God. Genesis 32:28 Wherefore also Jacob called that place Vision of God — saying, For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. Genesis 32:30
What is of special significance for the example is that clearly - in order for the etymology to work - ΙΣ COULDN'T HAVE been read as 'Jesus' originally. It had to have been read as two letters which 'mystically' stood at core of the Greek verb ἰσχύω 'to have strength/power.' This would essentially mean that the early Church Fathers accepted that ΙΣ meant not only 'man' but wasn't (originally?) a first letter, last letter 'abbreviation' of Joshua.

This is something I was always trying to find. Everyone knows the stupidity regarding Israel = a man seeing god. I think that if we go back to Justin's variant to the 'man seeing God' etymology:

καὶ τὸ οὖν Ἰσραὴλ ὄνομα τοῦτο σημαίνει· ἄνθρωπος νικῶν δύναμιν· τὸ γὰρ ἴσρα ἄνθρωπος νικῶν ἐστι, τὸ δὲ ἢλ δύναμις.

Accordingly the name Israel signifies this, A man who overcomes power; for Isra is a man overcoming, and El is power.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the structure of the sentence:

goes back to Gen 32:28 LXX:

τὸ ὄνομά σου Ιακωβ ἀλλὰ Ισραηλ ἔσται τὸ ὄνομά σου ὅτι ἐνίσχυσας μετὰ θεοῦ καὶ μετὰ ἀνθρώπων δυνατός

where 'δυνατός' (δύναμαι “to be able” +‎ -τος verbal adjective suffix) in the original LXX is now replaced by δύναμιν (accusative singular of δύναμις)

τὸ οὖν Ἰσραὴλ ὄνομα τοῦτο σημαίνει· ἄνθρωπος νικῶν δύναμιν

Clearly, in the same way, νικῶν bears a similar relationship with the original "ἐνίσχυσας μετὰ" God.

I think once I work out this argument I will start work on publishing a paper on this idea. I think I can prove that there was a second 'folk etymology' used by Philo and the Church Fathers which ultimately proved that the nomen sacrum was (a) read in 'ordinary way' (not as an abbreviation for Joshua originally (b) that ultimately it meant 'man.'
Secret Alias

Re: The Next Level in the ΙΣ theory

Post by Secret Alias »

As always I develop my ideas in a haphazard manner. Mark Sheridan notes in his "Jacob and Israel: A Contribution to the History of an Interpretation" in From the Nile to the Rhone and Beyond: Studies in Early Monastic Literature and Scriptural Interpretation (Studia Anselmiana 156) 2012. 316-334
Following Philo and Clement, Origen takes over the meaning of Jacob as the «supplanter».70 But the «man» (ἄνθρωπος) with whom Jacob struggles in Gen 32:25 becomes in Origen’s interpretation an angel.71 Origen makes much of the fact that the verse says that the «angel» struggled with Jacob and not against him. Although this is clearly not the original sense of the verse, Origen asserts that the angel was at his side to insure his safety. he struggle was against another, one of the powers and principalities. Here, using the principle of interpreting the Scriptures by means of the Scriptures, and based on the notion of «struggle», Origen invokes the text of Eph. 6:12 to introduce the evil powers. He also seems to interpret the name Israel here to mean that Jacob was «strong with the Lord».72 Gone is the idea of Philo and Clement that the word (Logos) acted as Jacob’s trainer.

72 See also SelGn (PG 12, 128): Λόγος, Κύριος καὶ Θεὸς χρηματίζων, ὃς καὶ εὐλογήσας τὸν Ἰακὼβ, Ἰσραὴλ αὐτὸν ὠνόμασεν, ἐπειπὼν, ὅτι ἐνίσχυσας μετὰ Θεοῦ. See also the comment of Simonetti in Origène, Traité des Principes. Tome IV (Livres III et IV), ed. H. Crouzel - M. Simonetti (SC 269), Paris 1980, 66.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

More of my scatterbrain approach. Now Jerome disproves Philo's etymology but settles on ἐνίσχυσας μετὰ Θεοῦ

(Vers. 27 et 28.) Et dixit ei: Quod nomen tibi? Qui ait, Iacob. Dixit autem ei: Iam non vocabitur Iacob nomen tuum, sed vocabitur nomen tuum Israel: quia invaluisti cum Deo, et cum hominibus valebis. Iosephus in primo Antiquitatum libro, Israel ideo appellatum putat, quod adversum Angelum steterit: quod ego diligenter excutiens, in Hebraeo [Invenias autem facile, si sacri textus verba , non de Deo, ut Hieronymus, sed, ut Iosephus, de Angelo intelligas, quemadmodum et Osias propheta accepit cap. XII, v. 7. , pugna contendit cum Angelo. Sic autem habet Iosephi locus lib. I, cap. 20: Ἐκέλευσε (sc. ἄγγελος) καλεῖσθαι αὐτὸν Ἰσράηλον· σημαίνει δὲ τοῦτο κατὰ τὴν Ἑβραίων γλώτταν τὸν ἀντίσταντα ἀγγέλῳ θείῳ. Iussit, Angelus, ut se Israelum vocaret: quod Hebraica lingua significat Angelo reluctantem. Accedit huic expositioni Iustinus Dialog. cum Triphone, cui Israel dicitur, ἄνθρωπος νικῶν δύναμιν· τὸ γὰρ Ἴσρα, ἄνθρωπος νικῶν ἐστί. τὸ δὲ ἔλι δύναμις. Homo vincens potentiam. Vox enim Isra est homo vincens, el autem potentia, Deduxerit ex , quod virum sonat, et , quod est dominari, aut vincere, denique , potestas, sive Angelus.] penitus invenire non potui. Et quid me necesse est opiniones quaerere singulorum, cum etymologiam nominis exponat ipse qui posuit? Non vocabitur, inquit, nomen tuum Iacob, sed Israel erit nomen tuum. Quare? Interpretatur Aquila ὅτι ἤρξας μετὰ Θεοῦ, Symmachus ὅτι ἤρξω πρὸς Θεὸν: Septuaginta et Theodotio, ὅτι ἐνίσχυσας μετὰ Θεοῦ. [Sarith enim, etc. Hodie legimus Saritha, 2 pers. sing. masc. praeteriti a verbo Sara, quod principem se gerere significat. MARTIAN. ---Sunt qui legi, supplerique velint ad hunc modum: Sarith enim, vel Sar, a quo vocabulo Israel derivatur, principem sonat. Certe hisce postremis Hieronymi verbis subaudiendum est, se gerere, ne secundam personam verbi quis existimet tamquam substantivum nomen illum accepisse.] SARITH enim, quod ab Israel vocabulo derivatur, principem sonat. Sensus itaque est: Non vocabitur nomen tuum supplantator, hoc est, Iacob: sed vocabitur nomen tuum princeps cum Deo, hoc est, Israel. Quomodo enim princeps ego sum: sic et tu, qui mecum luctari potuisti, princeps vocaberis. Si autem mecum qui Deus sum, sive Angelus (quoniam plerique varie interpretantur), pugnare potuisti: quanto magis cum hominibus, hoc est cum Esau, quem formidare non debes! Illud autem, quod in libro Nominum interpretatur Israel, [Vir vero videns Deum, etc. Editi libri locum istud aliter exprimunt, legunt enim in hunc modum: Vir vero videns Deum his litteris scribitur, ut vir ex tribus litteris scribatur, aleph, iod, sin, ut dicatur is: videns, etc. Unus est codex Colbertinus, qui eumdem ordinem verborum retinet, caeteri omnes Regii, Colbertini, et Corbeienses cum plurimis aliis legunt ut nos edidimus. MARTIAN. ---Verba sive mens videns Deum, quae Martianaeus omisit, ex mss. nostrorum consensu, et Victorii editione suffecimus. Videsis porro, quae ad eam vocem Israel in libro Nominum observamus.] vir videns Deum, sive mens videns Deum, omnium pene sermone detritum, non tam vere, quam violenter mihi interpretatum videtur. Hic enim Israel, per has litteras scribitur, IOD, SIN, RES, ALEPH, LAMED, quod interpretatur princeps Dei, sive, directus Dei, hoc est, εὐθύτατος Θεοῦ. Vir vero videns Deum his litteris scribitur, ALEPH, IOD, SIN, ut vir ex tribus litteris scribatur, et dicatur IS: videns autem ex tribus, RES, ALEPH, HE, et dicatur RAA. Porro EL, ex duabus ALEPH et LAMED: et interpretatur Deus, sive fortis. Quamvis igitur grandis auctoritatis [Ex his nempe fuerunt Philo lib. de Praemiis et Poenis, Eusebius Praeparat. Evang. XI, 6. Olympiodorus in cap. I Ecclesiastae, Didymus lib. de Spiritu Sancto, atque alii passim, quos ad eum Didymi locum, num. 44 memoramus. Eo quoque referendi sunt bene multi, quibus Israel dicitur ὁρατικὸς ἀνήρ καὶ θεωρητικός. Una vera est, quam Hieron. fere praefert expositio, Princeps cum Deo.] sint, et eloquentiae ipsorum umbra nos opprimat, qui Israel virum, sive mentem videntem Deum transtulerunt: nos magis Scripturae, et Angeli, vel Dei, qui ipsum Israel vocavit, auctoritate ducimur, quam cuiuslibet eloquentiae saecularis. Illud quoque quod postea sequitur:
4 (Vers. 29 et 30.) Et benedixit eum ibi, et vocavit Iacob nomen loci illius, Facies Dei: vidi enim Deum facie ad faciem, et salva facta est anima mea; in Hebraeo dicitur [In Hebraeo dicitur Phanuel. In Hebraeo hodierno non Phanuel cum vau in medio, sed Phaniel vel Paniel cum iod scriptum legimus. Facilis porro est litterarum vau et iod permutatio, quia differunt sola magnitudine vel parvitate, quod saepius observat Hieronymus. MARTIAN. ---Hic quidem in Hebraicis exemplaribus cum iod scribitur , sed in subsequenti versiculo cum vau, . Et I Paralipomen. VIII, 24, , cheri, quae Massoretharum est ad marginem nota, .] PHANUEL, ut sciamus ipsum esse locum, qui in caeteris Scripturae sanctae voluminibus, ita ut in Hebraeo scriptum est, Phanuel legitur in Graeco.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Esther J. Hamori sarita (v 29): “you have striven.” The verb s8rh, meaning “persist” or “per- severe,” occurs only here and in the retelling of the story in Hosea 12:4 (Eng. 12:3). The LXX has the 1 aor. ptc. of the verb ενισχυω, meaning “having grown strong” or “regained one's strength”; the same verb is used for wayyithazzeq in Genesis 48:2 (also of Jacob). For the Hebrew ki-sarita c im’eldhim weim-’anasim wattukal, "for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed," the LXX has οτι ενισχυσας μετα θεου και μετα ανθρωπων δυνατος, "for you have grown strong with God, and are strong among men." The variety of meanings of pern with the genitive ("with, in the company of," "through the help of") leaves open the possibility of either a close rendering of the Hebrew for the first phrase ("you have strengthened yourself/persevered with God"), or a distancing from the concrete anthropomorphism of the passage ("you have grown strong through the help of God"). (this entire excellent book is available on archive.org https://archive.org/stream/WhenGodsWere ... n_djvu.txt)
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Does Philo directly reference or cite or use ενισχυω in his surviving Greek writings? No. However there are 546 uses of ἰσχύω. There are also 113 instances of Ἰάκωβος and 79 of Ισραήλ.

Starting with 'Israel':

καὶ ἔμπαλιν ὅταν τοῦτο νικήσῃ νίκην κακήν, εἴκει ὁ νοῦς κωλυόμενος προσέχειν ἑαυτῷ καὶ τοῖς ἑαυτοῦ πᾶσιν ἔργοις. φησὶ γοῦν ἐν ἑτέροις, ὅτι ὅταν μὲν ἐπῆρε τὰς χεῖρας Μωυσῆς, κατίσχυεν Ἰσραήλ, ὅταν δὲ καθῆκε, κατίσχυεν Ἀμαλήκ (Exod. 17, 11), τοῦτο παριστὰς ὅτι, ὁ νοῦς ἐπειδὰν μὲν ἐξάρῃ αὑτὸν ἀπὸ τῶν θνητῶν καὶ μετεωρισθῇ, ῥώννυται τὸ ὁρῶν τὸν θεόν, ὅπερ ἐστὶν Ἰσραήλ, ἐπειδὰν δὲ καθῇ τοὺς ἰδίους τόνους καὶ ἐξασθενήσῃ, αὐτίκα τὸ πάθος ἰσχύσει, ὁ Ἀμαλήκ, ὃς ἑρμηνεύεται λαὸς ἐκλείχων· ὄντως γὰρ διεσθίει τὴν ὅλην ψυχὴν καὶ ἐκλιχμᾶται, [187] μηδὲν ἐν αὐτῇ σπέρμα ἢ ζώπυρον ἀρετῆς ὑπολείπων. παρὸ καὶ λέγεται ἀρχὴ ἐθνῶν Ἀμαλήκ (Num. 24, 20), ὅτι τῶν μιγάδων καὶ συγκλύδων καὶ πεφυρμένων ἀβουλεὶ τὸ πάθος ἄρχει καὶ κυριεύει. διὰ τούτου πᾶς ὁ ψυχῆς ἀναρριπίζεται πόλεμος· αἷς γοῦν χαρίζεται διανοίαις ὁ θεὸς εἰρήνην, ταύταις ὁμολογεῖ ἀπαλείψειν τὸ μνημόσυνον Ἀμαλὴκ ἐκ τῆς ὑπ' οὐρανόν (Exod. 17, 14).

Figured out why Philo doesn't seem to cite ενισχυω - his LXX (I've noticed a difference before) has a slightly different reading making the etymology even more explicit:

οὐ κληθήσεται τὸ ὄνομά σου Ἰακώβ, ἀλλ' Ἰσραὴλ ἔσται σου τὸ ὄνομα, ὅτι ἴσχυσας μετὰ θεοῦ καὶ μετὰ ἀνθρώπων δυνατός (Gen. 32, 28). Ἰακὼβ μὲν οὖν μαθήσεως καὶ προκοπῆς ὄνομα, ἀκοῆς ἐξηρτημένων δυνάμεων, Ἰσραὴλ δὲ τελειότητος· [83] ὅρασιν γὰρ θεοῦ μηνύει τοὔνομα. τελειότερον δὲ τί ἂν εἴη τῶν ἐν ἀρεταῖς ἢ τὸ ὄντως ὂν ἰδεῖν; ὁ δὴ κατιδὼν τἀγαθὸν τοῦτο παρ' ἀμφοτέροις ἀνωμολόγηται τοῖς γονεῦσιν εὐδόκιμος, ἰσχὺν μὲν τὴν ἐν θεῷ, δύναμιν [84] δὲ τὴν παρὰ ἀνθρώποις εὑράμενος. εὖ μοι δοκεῖ καὶ ἐν Παροιμίαις εἰρῆσθαι προνοούντων καλὰ ἐνώπιον κυρίου καὶ ἀνθρώπων (Prov. 3, 4), ἐπειδὴ δι' ἀμφοτέρων παντελὴς ἡ κτῆσις τἀγαθοῦ περιγίνεται· διδαχθεὶς γὰρ φυλάσσειν νόμους πατρὸς καὶ μὴ ἀπωθεῖσθαι θεσμοὺς μητρὸς θαρρήσεις ἐπισεμνυνόμενος εἰπεῖν· υἱὸς γὰρ ἐγενόμην κἀγὼ πατρὶ ὑπήκοος καὶ ἀγαπώμενος ἐν προσώπῳ μητρός (Prov. 4, 3). ἀλλ' οὐκ ἔμελλες, εἴποιμ' ἂν αὐτῷ, στέργεσθαι φυλάττων μὲν τὰ παρὰ γενητοῖς καθεστῶτα νόμιμα διὰ πόθον κοινωνίας, φυλάττων δὲ καὶ τοὺς τοῦ ἀγενήτου [85] θεσμοὺς δι' εὐσεβείας ἔρωτα καὶ ζῆλον; τοιγάρτοι καὶ θεοπρόπος Μωυσῆς διὰ τῆς τῶν κατὰ τὸν νεὼν δημιουργίας ἱερῶν τὴν ἐν ἀμφοτέροις τελειότητα διαδείξει·
Let us now, therefore, proceeding in regular order, speak of the enemies of these persons, men who honour instruction and right reason, among whom are those who are attached to the virtue of one of their parents, being half-perfect companions; these men are the most excellent guardians of the laws which the father, that is to say, right reason, established, and faithful stewards of the customs which education, their mother, instituted; (81) and they were instructed by right reason, their father, to honour the Father of the universe, and not to neglect the customs and laws established by education, their mother, and considered by all men to be founded in justice. (82) When, therefore, Jacob, the practiser of virtue, and the man who entered into the lists of, and was a candidate for, the prizes of virtue, was inclined to give his ears in exchange for his eyes, and words for actions, and improvements for perfection, as the bounteous God was willing to give eyes to his mind, in order that he might for the future clearly see what hitherto he had only comprehended by hearing (for the eyes are more trustworthy than the ears), the oracle sounded in his ears, "Thy name shall not be called Jacob; but Israel shall thy name be, because thou hast prevailed with God (ὅτι ἴσχυσας μετὰ θεοῦ) and with men, with Power."{19}{#ge 32:28.} Jacob then is the name of learning and or improvement, that is to say of those powers which depend upon learning (ἀκοῆς ἐξηρτημένων δυνάμεων), and Israel is the name of perfection, for the name being interpreted means "the sight of God" (ὅρασιν γὰρ θεοῦ μηνύει τοὔνομα) (83) and what can be more perfect among all the virtues than the sight of the only living God? Accordingly he who hath seen this good things is confessed to be good by both his parents, having attained to strength in God and power both before the Lord and before men. (ἰσχὺν μὲν τὴν ἐν θεῷ, δύναμιν)
Here's what's so interesting.

1. The LXX text Philo uses makes the etymology of ἴσχυσας from ΙΣ far more reasonably than the 'man seeing God' nonsense.
2. Jerome says as much and makes reference to the right etymology referencing ενισχυω
3. in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek the connection between the name of the angel and the name Israel SHOULD be consistent. In Philo he puts forward another far more fanciful one. Is this a 'mistake' on Philo's part or does he substitute one for the other because ΙΣ from ἰσχύω is a sacred mystery? It's too holy.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

ἴσχυσας appears in 2 other places in Greek Philo. The first is a little earlier in the same text 'On Drunkeness' which is of little significance and then in the On the Change of names:
And also he gilded the sacred ark, the place wherein the laws were kept, both within and without; and he gave the great high priest two robes, the inner one made of linen, and the other one beautifully embroidered, with one robe reaching to the feet. (44) For these and such things as these are symbols of the soul which in its inner parts shows itself pure towards God, and in its exterior parts shows itself without reproach in reference to the world which is perceptible to the outward senses and to this life: with great felicity therefore was this said to the victorious wrestler (τὸν παλαιστὴν νικηφόρον), when he was about to have his brows crowned with the garlands of victory (τοῖς νικητηρίοις ἀναδεῖσθαι στεφάνοις): and the declaration made with respect to him was of the following tenor, "You have been mightily powerful both with God and with Men (ἴσχυσας μετὰ θεοῦ καὶ μετὰ ἀνθρώπων δυνατός);"{25}{#ge 32:28.} (45) for to have a good reputation with both classes, namely, with the uncreated God and with the creature, is the task of no small mind, but, if one must say the truth, it is one fit for that which is in the confines between the world and God. In short, it is necessary that the good man should be an attendant of God, for the creature is an object of care to the Ruler and Father of the universe; (46) for who is there who does not know, that even before the creation of the world God was himself sufficient to himself, and that he remained as much a friend as before after the creation of the world, without having undergone any change? Why then did he make what did not exist before? Because he was good and bounteous. Shall we not then, we who are slaves, follow our master, admiring, in an exceeding degree, the great first Cause of all things, and not altogether despising our own nature?
This is clearly where Justin got his variant etymology of Israel - ἄνθρωπος νικῶν δύναμιν. We know Justin read Philo. Philo here describes Jacob as a victorious wrestler (παλαιστὴν νικηφόρον). This seems to indicate that Justin was less cautious about explaining the sacred mysteries than Philo and that even Philo knew the 'sacred' etymology connecting ΙΣ to ἰσχύω as we see the angel's name connected with similar words in Hebrew and Aramaic.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

There are 71 other related words to ἴσχυσας in Philo. This is going to take some time.

I am about to drop the hammer ...

Tertullian Against Marcion 4:39 (a text where parts likely go back to Justin):
Quid enim sapientius et incontradicibilius confessione simplici et exserta in martyris nomine cum deo invalescentis, quod est interpretatio Israelis? Nec mirum si is cohibuit praecogitationem qui et ipse a patre excepit pronuntiandi tempestive subministrationem: Dominus mihi dat linguam disciplinae, quando debeam proferre sermonem; nisi Marcion Christum non subiectum patri infert.

For what is there wiser or more irresistible than a plain and express confession in the name of a martyr who prevails with God ? For this is the
meaning of Israel. And no wonder that a check was put upon premeditation by one who himself received from the Father the ability to speak words in season: The Lord giveth me the tongue of discipline <to know> when I ought to utter speech: except that Marcion suggests that Christ is not subject to the Father.
We have lift off ladies and gentlemen. Christians almost certainly connected ΙΣ to ἴσχυσας. Is that also why ΙΣ is consistently portrayed as 'healing' in the gospel?
For here too he puts into present effect the prophecy of a particular kind of healing: weak hands are strengthened (Invalescunt manus), as also were enfeebled knees in the sick of the palsy. (ibid 4.12)
What is Tertullian on about here? We see a little later in the same book:
Lastly, you could find, if you were to read what goes before, that the times of the promise are in agreement: Be strong, ye weak hands and
ye feeble knees (Invalescite manus dimissae et genua resoluta) . . . then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall hearken: then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb shall be clear.j So when he had told of benefits of healing, then it was that he put scorpions and serpents under subjection to his saints: and this was he who had first received from his Father this authority so as to grant it also to others, and now made it manifest in the order the prophecy had foretold.
Where does this lead us? Que supresa.
ἰσχύσατε χεῗρες ἀνειμέναι καὶ γόνατα παραλελυμένα
I remember reading somewhere that the disciples sleeping was similarly rooted - i.e. having a lack of 'Jesus' (don't remember where though):
So, you could not (οὐκ ἰσχύσατε) keep watch
Also Hilary of Poitiers twice calls him "Dei verbo invalescens."
Last edited by Secret Alias on Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

If I am right about a pre-existent etymology for ΙΣ from ἴσχυσας this would explain the emphasis on miracles (cf. Tertullian Against Marcion 3). He was demonstrating his identity. So his first announcement of his own identity:
When Jesus heard that, he told them, "The strong (οἱ ἰσχύοντες) don't need a physician, but sick ones do. I did not come to call righteous people, but sinners." [2:17]
Similarly:
On the other hand, no one can enter a strong man’s house (τὴν οἰκίαν τοῦ ἰσχυροῦ) and rob his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man (τὸν ἰσχυρὸν). Then he will rob his house.[3.27]
Is Jesus the thief or the strong man? Moreover with Legion the understanding is even clearer:
When he got out of the boat, a man with an impure spirit came from the tombs to meet him. 3 This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain. 4 For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough [ἴσχυεν] to subdue him.
With another healing episode the same moral appears:
Whenever it brings on a seizure, it throws him to the ground. Then he foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and becomes stiff. So I asked your disciples to drive the spirit out, but they didn't have the power (οὐκ ἴσχυσαν) [9:18]
Finally as we saw:
"Simon, are you asleep?" he asked Peter. "You couldn't (οὐκ ἴσχυσας) stay awake for one hour, could you? [Mark 14 37]
If I'm right the gospel was trying to show (a) secretly that ΙΣ from ἴσχυσας (Gen 32:28) and (b) that the disciples didn't have the divine 'strength/power' of ΙΣ.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Justin thinks Heracles was created by the devil to imitate Christ:
And when they tell that Hercules was strong (τὸν Ἡρακλέα ἰσχυρὸν), and travelled over all the world, and was begotten by Jove of Alcmene, and ascended to heaven when he died, do I not perceive that the Scripture which speaks of Christ, 'strong as a giant to run his race,' (τὴν Ἰσχυρὸν ὡς γίγας δραμεῖν ὁδὸν αὐτοῦ) has been in like manner imitated? ... But since I have not quoted to you such Scripture as tells that Christ will do these things, I must necessarily remind you of one such: from which you can understand, how that to those destitute of a knowledge of God, I mean the Gentiles, who, 'having eyes, saw not, and having a heart, understood not,' worshipping the images of wood,[how even to them] Scripture prophesied that they would renounce these[vanities], and hope in this Christ. It is thus written: 'Rejoice, thirsty wilderness: let the wilderness be glad, and blossom as the lily: the deserts of the Jordan shall both blossom and be glad: and the glory of Lebanon was given to it, and the honour of Carmel. And my people shall see the exaltation of the Lord, and the glory of God. Be strong, ye careless hands and enfeebled knees. Be comforted, ye faint in soul: be strong, fear not. Behold, our God gives, and will give, retributive judgment. He shall come and save us. Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall hear. Then the lame shall leap as an hart, and the tongue of the stammerers shall be distinct: for water has broken forth in the wilderness, and a valley in the thirsty land; and the parched ground shall become pools, and a spring of water shall[rise up] in the thirsty land.' The spring of living water which gushed forth from God in the land destitute of the knowledge of God, namely the land of the Gentiles, was this Christ, who also appeared in your nation, and healed those who were maimed, and deaf, and lame in body from their birth, causing them to leap, to hear, and to see, by His word. And having raised the dead, and causing them to live, by His deeds He compelled the men who lived at that time to recognise Him. But though they saw such works, they asserted it was magical art. For they dared to call Him a magician, and a deceiver of the people. Yet He wrought such works, and persuaded those who were[destined to] believe on Him; for even if any one be labouring under a defect of body, yet be an observer of the doctrines delivered by Him, He shall raise him up at His second advent perfectly sound, after He has made him immortal, and incorruptible, and free from grief. [Dialogue 70]
While the current text brings forward Joshua as another example of someone who's name changes in the Bible the text is corrupt. Could Jacob have originally been the one 'strong and great'?
For, indeed, He was also called Israel, and Jacob's name was changed to this also. Now Isaiah shows that those prophets who are sent to publish tidings from God are called His angels and apostles. For Isaiah says in a certain place, 'Send me.' And that the prophet whose name was changed, Jesus, was strong and great, is manifest to all (ἰσχυρὸς καὶ μέγας γέγονεν ὁ ἐπονομασθεὶς τῷ Ἰησοῦ ὀνόματι, φανερὸν πᾶσίν ἐστιν). [ibid 74)
And David predicted that He would be born from the womb before sun and moon, according to the Father's will, and made Him known, being Christ, as God strong and to be worshipped." ( καὶ θεὸν ἰσχυρὸν καὶ προσκυνητόν) [ibid 76]

And His strong word (καὶ ἰσχυρὸς ὁ λόγος αὐτοῦ) has prevailed on many to forsake the demons whom they used to serve, and by means of it to believe in the Almighty God because the gods of the nations are demons. [ibid 84]

but he cried to them, 'I am not the Christ, but the voice of one crying; for He that is stronger than I (ὁ ἰσχυρότερός μου) shall come, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear.' And when Jesus came to the Jordan, He was considered to be the son of Joseph the carpenter; and He appeared without comeliness, as the Scriptures declared [ibid 89]

They answered, "We admitted this." "Listen, therefore," say I, "to what follows; for Moses first exhibited this seeming curse of Christ's by the signs which he made." "Of what [signs] do you speak?" said he. "When the people," replied I, "waged war with Amalek, and the son of Nave (Nun) by name Jesus (Joshua), led the fight, Moses himself prayed to God, stretching out both hands, and Hur with Aaron supported them during the whole day, so that they might not hang down when he got wearied. For if he gave up any part of this sign, which was an imitation of the cross, the people were beaten, as is recorded in the writings of Moses; but if he remained in this form, Amalek was proportionally defeated, and he who prevailed prevailed by the cross (καὶ ἰσχύων διὰ τοῦ σταυροῦ ἴσχυεν). For it was not because Moses so prayed that the people were stronger, but because, while one who bore the name of Jesus (Joshua) was in the forefront of the battle, he himself made the sign of the cross. For who of you knows not that the prayer of one who accompanies it with lamentation and tears, with the body prostrate, or with bended knees, propitiates God most of all? But in such a manner neither he nor any other one, while sitting on a stone, prayed. Nor even the stone symbolized Christ, as I have shown. [ibid 90]

And God by Moses shows in another way the force of the mystery (τὴν ἰσχὺν τοῦ μυστηρίου) of the cross [ibid 91]

"And that it was declared by symbol, even in the time of Moses, that there would be two advents of this Christ, as I have mentioned previously, [is manifest] from the symbol of the goats presented for sacrifice during the fast. And again, by what Moses and Joshua did, the same thing was symbolically announced and told beforehand. For the one of them, stretching out his hands, remained till evening on the hill, his hands being supported; and this reveals a type of no other thing than of the cross: and the other, whose name was altered to Jesus (Joshua), led the fight, and Israel conquered. Now this took place in the case of both those holy men and prophets of God, that you may perceive how one of them could not bear up both the mysteries: I mean, the type of the cross and the type of the name. For this is, was, and shall be the strength of Him alone ( ἡ ἰσχὺς αὕτη ἐστὶ καὶ ἦν καὶ ἔσται), whose name every power dreads, being very much tormented because they shall be destroyed by Him. Therefore our suffering and crucified Christ was not cursed by the law, but made it manifest that He alone would save those who do not depart from His faith. [ibid 111]

A careful look at the context in Justin makes clear he bought into the proposed etymology:
I must speak, then, in the hope of finding good ground somewhere; since that Lord of mine, as One strong and powerful ( ὡς ἰσχυρὸς καὶ δυνατός), comes to demand back His own from all, land will not condemn His steward if He recognises that he, by the knowledge that the Lord is powerful (δυνατός) and has come to demand His own, has given it to every bank, and has not digged for any cause whatsoever. Accordingly the name Israel signifies this, A man who overcomes power; for Isra is a man overcoming, and El is power. And that Christ would act so when He became man was foretold by the mystery of Jacob's wrestling with Him who appeared to him, in that He ministered to the will of the Father, yet nevertheless is God, in that He is the first-begotten of all creatures [ibid 125].
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

But if reason be able to purify the passion (ἐὰν δὲ ὁ λόγος ἰσχύσῃ ἀνακαθᾶραι τὸ πάθος), then neither when we drink do we become intoxicated, nor when we eat do we become indolent through satiety, but we feast soberly without indulging in folly. [Allegorical Int. 2.29]
This seems to imitate the state of impassibility referenced in early Christianity. Similarly again:
"And whomsoever the one serpent bites, if he looks upon the brazen serpent shall live:" in which Moses speaks truly, for if the mind that has been bitten by pleasure, that is by the serpent which was sent to Eve, shall have strength to behold the beauty of temperance (σχύσῃ κατιδεῖν ψυχικῶς τὸ σωφροσύνης κάλλος), that is to say, the serpent made by Moses in a manner affecting the soul, and to behold God himself through the medium of the serpent, it shall live. Only let it see and contemplate it intellectually. (82) Do you not see that wisdom when dominant, which is Sarah, says, "For whosoever shall hear it shall rejoice with Me."{24}{#ge 21:6.} But suppose that any were able to hear (ἀλλὰ φέρε τινὰ ἰσχῦσαι ἀκοῦσαι) that virtue has brought forth happiness (, namely, Isaac, immediately he will sing a congratulatory hymn. [ibid 81, 82]
And just consider, if you will, the great energy of the soul, (70) for the most vigorous athlete would not be able to carry about a statue of himself for even a short time (ὁ μὲν ἐρρωμενέστατος ἀθλητὴς οὐκ ἂν ἰσχύσαι τὸν ἑαυτοῦ πρὸς βραχὺν χρόνον ἀνδριάντα κομίσαι); but the soul, without any exertion and without any fatigue, carries about the statue of a man occasionally even for as long a time as a hundred years; for even at the end of that period it does not kill it, but only gets rid of a body which was dead from the beginning. [Allegorical Int. 3.69, 70]

And he calls it the heave-shoulder for this reason, because reason ought to be set over and to be predominant above the violence of anger, as a charioteer who is driving a hard-mouthed and restiff horse. And then the shoulder is no longer called the heave-shoulder, but the shoulder of removal, on this account, because it is fitting that the soul should not attribute to itself labour in the cause of virtue, but should remove it from itself and attribute it to God, confessing that it is not its own strength or its own power (οὐχ ἡ ἰσχὺς αὐτῆς οὐδὲ ἡ δύναμις) which has thus acquired what is good, but He who gave it a love for goodness. [ibid 137]
And the war between these things in manifest. At all events, according to the superiority of the mind when it applies itself to incorporeal objects, which are perceptible only to the intellect, passion is put to flight. And, on the other hand, when this latter gains a shameful victory, the mind yields, being hindered from giving its attention to itself and to all its actions. At all events, he says in another place, "When Moses lifted up his hands Israel prevailed, and when he let them down Amalek Prevailed (κατίσχυεν Ἰσραήλ, ὅταν δὲ καθῆκε, κατίσχυεν Ἀμαλήκ)."{91}{#ex 17:11.} And this statement implies, that when the mind raises itself up from mortal affairs and is elevated on high, it is very vigorous because it beholds God; and the mind here means Israel. But when it relaxes its vigour and becomes powerless, then immediately the passions will prevail (αὐτίκα τὸ πάθος ἰσχύσει), that is to say, Amalek; which name, being interpreted, means, the people licking. For he does, of a verity, devour the whole soul, and licks it up, leaving no seed behind, nor anything which can excite virtue; (187) in reference to which it is said, "Amalek is the beginning of Nations;"{92}{#nu 24:20.} because passion governs, and is the absolute lord of nations, all mingled and confused and jumbled in disorder, without any settled plan; and, through passion, all the war of the soul is fanned and kept alive. For God makes a promise to the same minds to which he grants peace, that he will efface the memorial of Amalek from all the lands beneath the heaven. [ibid 187]
What is interesting is that Philo does allow him to say that when passion is 'strengthened' that is Amalek but he doesn't utter the parallel understanding when God is doing the strengthening 'that's Israel.' Must be a secret.

Now it is inevitable that the mind must be either bad or good. Now, if it be bad, it would be but a foolish guardian and dispenser of pleasure, for it rejoices in it. But the good man is an enemy to it, expecting that, when he once attacks it, he will be able utterly to destroy it (καραδοκῶν ὅτε ἐπιθέμενος ἰσχύσει καθελεῖν αὐτὴν εἰσάπαν). [ibid 189]
But Joseph, for he is a young man (νέος), and because as such he was unable to struggle with the Egyptian body and to subdue pleasure (οὐκ ἴσχυσεν ἀγωνίσασθαι καὶ νικῆσαι τὴν ἡδονήν), runs away. But Phineas the priest, who was zealous with a great zeal for God's service, did not provide for his own safety by flight; but having taken to himself a yoke horse, that is to say, zeal combined with reason, would never desist till he had wounded the Midianitish woman (that is to say the nature which was concealed in the divine company), through her belly, {117}{#nu 25:7.} in order that no plant or seed of wickedness might ever be able to shoot out from it (ἵνα μηδέποτε ἰσχύσῃ φυτὸν ἢ σπέρμα κακίας ἀνατεῖλαι). On which account after folly has been utterly eradicated, the soul receives a twofold prize, and a double inheritance, peace and holiness, two kindred and sister-like virtues. (ibid 242
And Moses reproves the man who looks upon himself as the cause of the good things that have befallen him in this manner, "Say not," says he, "my own might, or the strength of my right hand has acquired me all this power, but remember always the Lord thy God, who giveth thee the might to acquire Power (φησίν ἡ ἰσχύς μου ἢ τὸ κράτος τῆς χειρός μου ἐποίησέ μοι πᾶσαν τὴν δύναμιν ταύτην· ἀλλὰ μνείᾳ μνησθήσῃ κυρίου τοῦ θεοῦ σου τοῦ διδόντος σοι ἰσχὺν ποιῆσαι δύναμιν)." (Deut. 8, 17. 18) [Birth of Abel 56]

"But in the day," says God, "on which I smote the first-born in the land of Egypt, I consecrated to myself all the first-born of Israel."{52}{#ex 13:15.} And he says this not to lead us to suppose that at the time when Egypt was stricken with this mighty blow by the destruction of all its first-born, the first-born of Israel all became holy, but because both in former times, and now, and hereafter, and for ever, this naturally happens in the case of the soul, that when the most dominant parts of blind passion are destroyed, then the elder and most honourable offspring of God, who sees everything with a piercing sight, becomes holy; (135) for the departure of wickedness brings about the entrance of virtue, as, on the other hand, when what is good is driven away, then what was bad, having been lying in ambush, comes in to supply the void. Jacob then had scarcely at all gone out, {53}{genesis 27:1.} when Esau entered, not the mind which receives everything, being stamped with the impression of wickedness instead of the figures of virtue, if that is possible; but he would not have been able to effect this (ἀλλ' οὐκ ἂν ἰσχύσαι τοῦτ' ἐργάσασθαι), for he will be supplanted and overthrown by the wise man before he knows it, the wise man being prompt to repel the impending injury before it can affect him. [ibid 134 - 135]

Arguing therefore in this prolix train of reasoning, they thought that they got the better of those who were not accustomed to deal in sophistry. But the cause of their victory was not the strength of those who got the better ( αἰτία δὲ τῆς νίκης οὐχ ἡ τῶν περιγεγενημένων ἰσχύς), but the weakness of their adversaries in these matters. For of those who practise virtue, some treasured up what is good in their soul alone, becoming practisers of praiseworthy actions, and having no knowledge whatever of sophistries of words. But they who were armed in both ways, having their minds furnished with wise counsel and with good deeds, and having also good store of reasons to bring forward according to the arts of the sophists [Worst is Wont to Attack the Better 35]

Therefore he had learnt, as plainly as any man that ever lived, that God, having fixed the roots and seeds of everything down in the earth, is the cause also of the greatest of all plants, namely this world, shooting up; which world he here seems to speak of enigmatically in the song which I have just quoted, where he calls it the mountain of his inheritance; since that which is made is the most appropriate possession and inheritance, of him who has made it. (49) Therefore he prays that we may be planted in it, not in order that we may become irrational and unmanageable in our natures; but that, in due obedience to the arrangement of the all-perfect governor, imitating his perpetual and undeviating consistency, we may live a temperate and innocent life. For to be able to live in a strict uniformity with nature is what the man of old have defined as the end of happiness τὸ γὰρ ἀκολουθίᾳ φύσεως ἰσχῦσαι ζῆν εὐδαιμονίας τέλος εἶπον οἱ πρῶτοι). [Noah's Works a Planter 49]

For the expression, "It is not the voice of men beginning to exert themselves in battle," is equivalent to the words, "of men who have got the better in war (κατ' ἰσχὺν ἴσον ἐστὶ τῷ περιγεγενημένων τῷ πολέμῳ)," for exertion in battle is the cause of victory (ἰσχὺς γὰρ τοῦ κρατεῖν αἴτιον). Thus he represents the wise Abraham, after the destruction of the nine kings, that is, of the four passions and the five powers of the outward senses, which were all set in motion in a manner contrary to nature, preluding with a hymn of gratitude, and saying, "I will stretch forth my hand to the most high God, who made heaven and earth; that I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet of any thing that is Thine,"{25}{#ge 14:22.} [On Drunkenness 103]

And Moses indeed, in the same manner, when he saw the king of Egypt, {26}{exodus 14:7.} that arrogant man with his six hundred chariots, that is to say, with the six carefully arranged motions of the organic body, and with the governors who were appointed to manage them, who, while none of all created things are by nature calculated to stand still, think nevertheless that they may look upon everything as solidly settled and admitting of no alteration; when he, I say, saw that this king had met with the punishment due to his impiety, and that the people, who were practisers of virtue, had escaped from the attacks of their enemies, and had been saved by mighty power beyond their expectation, he then sang a hymn to God as a just and true judge, beginning a hymn in a manner most becoming and most exactly suited to the events that had happened, because the horse and his rider he had thrown into the Sea;"{27}{#ex 15:4.} having utterly destroyed that mind which rode upon the irrational impulses of that four-footed and restive animal, passion, and had become an ally, and defender, and protector of the seeing soul, so as to bestow upon it complete safety. (112) And the same prophet begins a song to the well, not only for the destruction of the passions, but also because he has had strength given to him to acquire the most valuable of all possessions, namely incomparable wisdom (ἀλλὰ καὶ ἐπὶ τῷ τὸ κάλλιστον κτημάτων, σοφίαν, ἀνανταγώνιστον ἰσχῦσαι λαβεῖν), which he compares to a well; for it is deep, and not superficial, giving forth a sweet stream to souls who thirst for goodness and virtue, a drink at once most necessary and most sweet. (113) But it is not entrusted to any person who is not initiated in wisdom to dig this well, but only to kings, on which account it is said, "Kings hewed it out of Stone."{28}{#nu 21:18.} For it is the office of mighty rulers to investigate and to establish wisdom, not meaning those who with their arms have subdued sea and land, but those who with the powers of the soul have fought against and subdued its diversified, and mingled, and confused multitude. [ibid 112]

ταῦτα γὰρ καὶ τὰ τοιαῦτα σύμβολα ψυχῆς ἐστι καὶ τοῖς εἴσω πρὸς θεὸν ἁγνευούσης καὶ [ἐν] τοῖς ἔξω πρὸς τὸν αἰσθητὸν κόσμον καὶ βίον καθαρευούσης. εὐστόχως οὖν ἐκεῖνο πρὸς τὸν παλαιστὴν νικηφόρον ἐλέχθη μέλλοντα τοῖς νικητηρίοις ἀναδεῖσθαι στεφάνοις. τὸ γὰρ ἐπ' αὐτῷ κήρυγμα τοιοῦτόν ἐστι· ἴσχυσας μετὰ θεοῦ καὶ μετὰ ἀνθρώπων δυνατός (Gen. [45] 32, 28). τὸ γὰρ καθ' ἑκατέραν τάξιν εὐδοκιμῆσαι, καὶ τὴν πρὸς τὸ ἀγένητον καὶ τὴν πρὸς τὸ γενόμενον, οὐ μικρᾶς ἐστι διανοίας, ἀλλ', εἰ δεῖ τἀληθὲς εἰπεῖν, κόσμου καὶ θεοῦ μεθορίου· συνόλως τε προσήκει τὸν ἀστεῖον ὀπαδὸν εἶναι θεοῦ· μέλει γὰρ τῷ πάντων ἡγεμόνι καὶ πατρὶ [46] τοῦ γενομένου. τίς γὰρ οὐκ οἶδεν, ὅτι καὶ πρὸ τῆς τοῦ κόσμου γενέσεως ἱκανὸς ἦν αὐτὸς ἑαυτῷ ὁ θεὸς καὶ μετὰ τὴν τοῦ κόσμου γένεσιν ὁ αὐτὸς ἔμενεν, οὐ μεταβαλών; διὰ τί οὖν ἐποίει τὰ μὴ ὄντα; ἢ ὅτι ἀγαθὸς καὶ φιλόδωρος ἦν; εἶτ' οὐχ ἑψόμεθα οἱ δοῦλοι τῷ δεσπότῃ, θαυμάζοντες μὲν τὸν αἴτιον ὑπερφυῶς, τῆς δὲ καθ' αὑτοὺς φύσεως μὴ ὑπερορῶντες

For the soul flourishes for the pursuit of knowledge when the prime vigour of the body is withering away from the lapse of time; therefore, before one has arrived at one's prime and vigour by reason of a more accurate comprehension of things, it is not difficult to be tripped up. But this accident is common to all people who are fond of learning, to whom new subjects of contemplation are continually rising up and striving after old ones, the soul itself producing many such subjects when it is not barren and unproductive. And nature, also, unexpectedly and spontaneously displaying a great number to those who are gifted with acute and penetrating intellects. Therefore the well of knowledge is shown to be of this kind, having no boundary and no end. [On Dreams 11]
For God, not condescending to come down to the external senses, sends his own words or angels for the sake of giving assistance to those who love virtue. But they attend like physicians to the disease of the soul, and apply themselves to heal them, offering sacred recommendations like sacred laws, and inviting men to practice the duties inculcated by them, and, like the trainers of wrestlers, implanting in their pupils strength, and power, and irresistible vigour (καὶ τρόπον ἀλειπτῶν ἰσχὺν καὶ δύναμιν). (1.70) Very properly, therefore, when he has arrived at the external sense, he is represented no longer as meeting God, but only the divine word, just as his grandfather Abraham, the model of wisdom, did; for the scripture tells us, "The Lord departed when he had finished conversing with Abraham, and Abraham returned to his Place."{13}{#ge 18:33.} From which expression it is inferred, that he also met with the sacred words from which God, the father of the universe, had previously departed, no longer displaying visions from himself but only those which proceed from his subordinate powers. [On Dreams 1.70]
But do not fancy that that stone was anointed with oil, but understand rather that that opinion, that God is the only being who stands firmly, was thoroughly hardened by exercise, and established in the soul by the science of wrestling, not that science by which bodies are made fat, but that by which the mind acquires strength and irresistible vigour (ἀλλ' ὑφ' ἧς διάνοια ἰσχὺν κτᾶται καὶ ῥώμην ἀνανταγώνιστον) (1.251) for the man who is eager in the pursuit of good studies and virtuous objects is fond of labours, and fond of exercises; so that very naturally, having worked out the science of training which is the sister of the art of medicine, he anoints and brings to perfection all the reasonings of virtue and piety, and dedicates them, as a most beautiful and lasting offering to God. [ibid 1.150]
Those then who have called only what is honourable good, have preserved this nature free from alloy, and have attributed it only to what is most excellent, namely to the reason that is in us; but those who have mixed it have combined it with three things, the soul, the body, and external circumstances. And they who act thus are persons of a somewhat effeminate and luxurious way of life, being bred up the greater part of their time, from their earliest infancy, in the women's apartments and among the effeminate race which is found in the women's apartments. But those who argue differently are men inclined to a harder regimen, being bred up from their boyhood among men, and being themselves men in their minds, embracing what is right in preference to what is pleasant, and devoting themselves to nourishment fit for athletes for the sake of strength and vigour (καὶ τροφαῖς ἀθλητικαῖς πρὸς ἰσχὺν καὶ ῥώμην), not of pleasure. [ibid 2.9]
On which account it is even now proper to praise those persons who do not yield to the president of vain opinion but who withstand him and say, "Shall you be a king and rule over Us?"{80}{#ge 37:8.} For they do not see him actually in possession of kingly power (οὔπω γὰρ ἰσχυκότα ὁρῶσιν αὐτόν), they do not see him as yet kindled like a flame, and shining and blazing in the unlimited fuel, but only smouldering like a spark, dreaming of glory, and not visibly having attained to it [ibid 2.93]