Why the name of the Teacher of Righteousness was never revealed

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why the name of the Teacher of Righteousness was never revealed

Post by Giuseppe »

The reason, according to André Ragot, is that the demons had not know who he was.

Hence, the theme of secrecy of the name behind both Ascension of Isaiah, Revelation 2:12, 19:12-13, 1 Corinthians 2:6-8, would be related to the claim by the Teacher of Righteousness:

"Ils n'ont pas su que c'était de toi (Dieu) que procède mon existence".

(Hymn. C. II-22)

"They" would be the killers of Jesus.
Sinouhe

Re: Why the name of the Teacher of Righteousness was never revealed

Post by Sinouhe »

I would add this :

Josephus - The Jewish War Book II Chapter 8
9. What they most of all honour, after God himself, is the name of their legislator , whom if any one blaspheme he is punished capitally.

The legislator mentioned here is not Moses (mentioned multiple times by his name in the scrolls) but the Teacher of Righteousness :
  • 1QH XIV:10
Thou wilt do these things for Thy glory and for Thine own sake,
to [magnify] the Law and [the truth
and to enlighten] the members of Thy Council in the midst of the sons of men,

• 4Q171 III:15
Interpreted, this concerns the Priest, the Teacher of [Righteousness whom] God chose to stand before Him, for He established him to build for Himself the congregation...

• Commentary on Micah - Fragment 8-10
[Interpreted, this concerns] the Teacher o f Righteousness who [expounded the law to] his [Council] and to all who freely pledged them­ selves to join the elect of [God to keep the Law] in the Council of the Community, who shall be saved on the Day [of Judgement] ...
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

The oldest core of the book of Revelation, read by Ragot according to C. Hab. XI-6.8, would reveal that, when Jerusalem was conquered by Pompey, the ghost of the Teacher of Righteousness would be appeared before his same enemies, as revenge against them (Jerusalem being in whiletime conquered by Pompey).

The Gospels would have later identified the revelations to the followers Peter, Paul etc with the revelations post-mortem to his enemies by the Teacher of Righteousness.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ragot finds further evidence that Jesus was the Teacher of Righteousness in John 1:30:

οὗτός ἐστιν ὑπὲρ οὗ ἐγὼ εἶπον Ὀπίσω μου ἔρχεται ἀνὴρ ὃς ἔμπροσθέν μου γέγονεν, ὅτι πρῶτός μου ἦν.

"This is He on behalf of whom I said, 'After me comes a Man who has a higher rank than I, for He was born before me.'

Out of embarrassament, the Christian translators, cfr Jerome, have translated at contrary:

qui ante me factus est

or

who has passed before me.

qui a passé avant moi.

...so making Jesus a contemporary of John the Baptist, by removing the word "born", that embarrassed them.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Maybe they refused to reveal his name because of a naming taboo among his students and their followers. The Jews, after all, have developed a naming taboo surrounding their god YHWH, and in the broader tradition of spiritual seekers, a naming taboo developed among the Buddhist master Shilabhadra's Indian students, who would only refer to him by a title meaning "Right Dharma Store" - we only know his name Shilabhadra, if I understand the matter correctly, because he took a Chinese student named Xuanzang who wrote an account in which he refused to observe this Indian taboo. Given these situations, I see nothing wrong with thinking that the title "Teacher of Righteousness" may have similarly developed among his students - and unlike Shilabhadra, we may have no foreign record of his real name.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ceteris paribus, I see that the secrecy of the name being required by strategical reasons (=in order to trick his same killers) is a hypothesis that has some evidence in Hymn. C. II-22.
John2

Post by John2 »

Given the revolutionary tenor of the Dead Sea Scrolls, my guess would be that the Teacher of Righteousness is a nom de guerre.

Noms de guerre were adopted for security reasons by members of World War II French resistance and Polish resistance. Such pseudonyms are often adopted by military special-forces soldiers, such as members of the SAS and similar units of resistance fighters, terrorists, and guerrillas. This practice hides their identities and may protect their families from reprisals; it may also be a form of dissociation from domestic life. Some well-known men who adopted noms de guerre include Carlos, for Ilich Ramírez Sánchez; Willy Brandt, Chancellor of West Germany; and Subcomandante Marcos, spokesman of the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN).During Lehi's underground fight against the British in Mandatory Palestine, the organization's commander Yitzchak Shamir (later Prime Minister of Israel) adopted the nom de guerre "Michael", in honour of Ireland's Michael Collins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudonym#Noms_de_guerre

My guess for the identity of the Teacher of Righteousness is Saddok, the co-founder of Fourth Philosophic Judaism (c. 6 CE), based on my view of the DSS as being largely Fourth Philosophic writings in doctrine and timing (given that the majority of the DSS are dated to the Herodian era) and because the Teacher and Saddok were "righteous ones" (or zaddiks). We don't know much about Saddok other than his name and Pharisaic background and the fact that he co-founded Fourth Philosophic Judaism, but that role is certainly similar to the Teacher, who founded the sect that produced some of the DSS (which arguably evince intimate awareness of Pharisaic Judaism).

Another option for the identity of the Teacher of Righteousness I've considered before is James the Just (of whom it is said by Epiphanius in Pan. 78.14.2, "He was no longer addressed by name; his name was The Just"), and while their respective doctrines and biographies seem similar to me, James' timeline is an issue due to carbon dating of the Habakkuk Pesher up to 2 CE (plus or minus however many years). Saddok's time seems less problematic in that respect (all the more so if he was teaching within mainstream Pharisaic Judaism before breaking away in 6 CE, as per his Pharisaic background).

But I think the similarities in doctrine that I see between the Teacher (whether he was Saddok or not) and James could be due to Christianity being a version of Fourth Philosophic Judaism (i.e., Jesus' version). Jesus and the Teacher and Saddok and James were Fourth Philosophic zaddiks, in my view, whoever the Teacher may have been. That's why Christianity is so similar to but not exactly the same in every particular as some of the DSS, I think. They're both products of Fourth Philosophic factions, with Christianity being the most successful.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

James was called the Just to do the verse with "the Just" god of the Tanak, in opposition to Marcion.
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

The name may have been revealed to some.
Not all Qumran mss may have been intended to be read by outsiders.