the Gospel of Philip says 'Chrestian' most of the time, whereas every translation says 'Christian'

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Transcriptions of Christian manuscripts (Bezae)

Post by mlinssen »

#Housekeeping

Relocated to viewtopic.php?p=140602#p140602
Last edited by mlinssen on Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlinssen

Re: Transcriptions of Christian manuscripts (Bezae)

Post by mlinssen »

Last edited by mlinssen on Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlinssen

Bezae: 549 ιης, 55 ις, 83 χρς

Post by mlinssen »

Last edited by mlinssen on Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leucius Charinus

Re: Bezae: 549 ιης, 55 ις, 83 χρς

Post by Leucius Charinus »

mlinssen wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:29 am WIP, but here it is: a rough, unverified list for Bezae.

///

549 occurrences of ιης,
55 occurrences of ις,
83 occurrences of χρς
So these are counts for the entire set of New Testament books in Bezae?

ιης dominates ις by a factor of 10.

And there are 83 counts of χρς and no counts for χς ?
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:59 am
mlinssen wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:29 am WIP, but here it is: a rough, unverified list for Bezae.

///

549 occurrences of ιης,
55 occurrences of ις,
83 occurrences of χρς

Yes
Yes
Yes

Bezae transcription (not this stand-alone one, but what goes along with the MS https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-NN-00002-00041/667) has been broken since a few weeks now, I just alerted them - that, on a side note

I'll do Sinaiticus next, visitors have just left and it's still a rainy Sunday
mlinssen

Bezae: 549 ιης, 55 ις, 83 χρς - and ις most certainly is later, and appears only in John

Post by mlinssen »

///

549 occurrences of ιης,
55 occurrences of ις,
83 occurrences of χρς

And you haven't overlooked the fact that essentially all these 27 IS occur in John alone, haven't you?
And that Matthew 3 must be some kind of edition?
And then when you look at Matthew you observe that the folio has note to it: https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-NN-00002-00041/16

Hey, doesn't that look really different? Indeed, it does: there are 2 notes to the folio saying that a LATER hand added it.
Best, given the circumstances of the Online Bezae transcription not showing due to an AWS bug, give my link to the stand-alone transcription a shot for the time being: http://epapers.bham.ac.uk/1663/1/Bezae-Greek.xml

"Folio 7v Image Quire_1-7v (hair) Matthew 3" is what you need to look for there; do a mouse-over on both notes in the left margin

Now, what do we do regarding the comment? Is it factual and do we Accept it, or do we Reject it until we have investigated any further?
Do we have and hold Thomas in the back of our heads while we do any of that? No, most certainly not - we always take a decision based solely on the content and context of an individual MS first and foremost.
It definitely is a later hand when you look at the script, the sizing - and the relative portion of one part in relation to the other

So I have done nothing really, I most certainly haven't done any exegesis (nor did I plan to do any, nor will I ever do any) and we've merely done some dumb bean counting based on Bezae, and we have already established some solid facts and have likely found something that no one ever before has discovered. And we now know that there is a very great separation between John and the rest of Bezae.
And we have done all of this ourselves, in a matter of 2-3 hours, we not only didn't need anyone for it nor will we ever do, and the data that we have found and presented is objectively verifiable by all, it's fully traceable, and it is irrefutable

Oh wait...
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

mlinssen wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:38 am

///

549 occurrences of ιης,
55 occurrences of ις,
83 occurrences of χρς

Yes
Yes
Yes
An interesting distribution indeed. Great stuff.
I'll do Sinaiticus next, visitors have just left and it's still a rainy Sunday
It will be very interesting how the four great "early" codices compare to each other and how they then compare to the NHL (plus other Coptic codices).

A study of the Runes of Christ and the Runes of Jesus are a subject Odin would be highly interested in and greatly appreciate. Odin was into runes. They didn't really interest either Thor or Loki.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:27 pm An interesting distribution indeed. Great stuff.
It appears that all IS-es are "scribos" for EIS, the proposition for in(to).
I've done a few so far, and I dare to extrapolate

Going by Traube's would seem to be very efficient
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

mlinssen wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:28 pm
Leucius Charinus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:27 pm An interesting distribution indeed. Great stuff.
It appears that all IS-es are "scribos" for EIS, the proposition for in(to).
I've done a few so far, and I dare to extrapolate

Going by Traube's would seem to be very efficient
I'll be relocating these to another thread Pete.
Somehow magically it appears that there are only a few hours to go for presenting Philip in the same way that I did Thomas - which would be invaluable for researching it

I've only spent 50 hours on it so far, I really don't understand LOL - but I'm pleased.
People like Stephen Goranson will object of course; how can anyone do a translation of an ancient and sacred text in so little time? That isn't only highly dubious, that's sacrilege!

But people like Stephen Goranson have demonstrated the bankruptcy of Churchian rhetoric ad nauseam: viewtopic.php?p=140471#p140471

Anyway - this thread will continue on topic: Philip
ebion

Re: Gospel of Philip: IS, IHS, XS, XRS alone (and then some)

Post by ebion »

mlinssen wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:48 am The translation used is that of the late Thomas Paterson Brown:
you say "the late Thomas Paterson Brown"

What info do you have on him, or his passing?

I love his gospels of Phillip and Thomas and was trying to contact him. without any luck.