Babylon

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
John2

Re: Babylon

Post by John2 »

Notes from Gudme, Before the God in this Place for Good Remembrance: A Comparative Analysis of the Aramaic Votive Inscriptions from Mount Gerizim (pg. 58-59):
According to 2 Kgs 17:24-41 the king of Assyria brings in people from Babylon, Cuthah, Avva, Hamath and Sepharvaim to populate the cities of Samaria after the Israelites who were living there had been carried away to Assyria (v. 6). The new population in Samaria attempts to worship Yahweh. They even have one of the Israelite priests that were deported returned to them to teach them how to perform the cult of Yahweh, but the cult that emerges is a syncretistic mix of the cults of their homeland with that of Yahweh. In Ant 9.288-91, in his version of 2 Kgs 17, Josephus refers to the inhabitants of Samaria who were brought from the region of Cuthah and are called "Cutheans" in Hebrew and "Samaritans" in Greek. The Samaritans may appear to be Jewish, but according to 2 Kgs 17 and Ant 9 they are foreigners ...

Yitzhak Magen himself accepts that the reason for founding the temple of Mount Gerizim in the fifth century matches Josephus' account in Ant 11, but that Josephus simply got the date wrong and that the Sanballat in question is Sanballat the Horonite, living "at the time of Nehemiah" according to Neh 13:28. According to Magen, the temple on Mount Gerizim was modelled after the temple in Jerusalem and built by "Jewish priests who followed the grandson of Eliashib, who was married to the daughter of Sanballat the Horonite (Neh 13:28)." It should be noted, though, that Magen does not identify the inhabitants of Samaria as descendants of foreign settlers, but as "the remnant of Israel" living in Samaria.

https://books.google.com/books?id=StMCv ... gs&f=false
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

John2 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:36 am I'm starting to wonder where/when/how the Samaritans fit into all of this.
One would think that you would have started wondering about them when you compiled your impressive notes about Ezra on pages 6-7 of this thread.

Had someone else done those, it would have been shocking to see that not a single mention of the treatment of the indigenous people is evident. The ethnic cleansing issues (for lack of a better label - including dissolving mixed marriages) are arguably the most important and interesting parts of the book.

This seems to refer to Samaritans -
Ezra 4:1 When the adversaries of Judah and Benjamin heard that the returned exiles were building a temple to the LORD God of Israel,
2 they approached Zerubbabel and the chiefs of the clans and said to them, "Let us build with you, since we too worship your God, having offered sacrifices to Him since the time of King Esarhaddon of Assyria, who brought us here."
3 Zerubbabel, Jeshua, and the rest of the chiefs of the clans of Israel answered them, "It is not for you and us to build a House to our God, but we alone will build it to the LORD God of Israel, in accord with the charge that the king, King Cyrus of Persia, laid upon us."
Anyway, assuming there might be some grains of truth in the underlying bullshit, it seems reasonable that the returnees did not even consider the inhabitants of Judah who were not deported as Jews, and the Samaritans were on an even lower scale.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Cuthean is a Hebraic reading of Scythian thus it's equating Samaritans with Cimmerians .

Here are the list of the anachronistic people who occupied the Land of Canaan according to Genesis.

Canaanites (Phoenicians)
Amorites (Cimmerian)
Gergashites (Greeks)
Hittite (Scythian)
Hivite (Achaean)
Jebusites (Boetian) (Boethusians)
Perizzites (Phrygian)
Caphotorim (Cyprian)
Philistine (Pelasgoi)
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
John2

Post by John2 »

One would think that you would have started wondering about them when you compiled your impressive notes about Ezra on pages 6-7 of this thread.
Ezra and Nehemiah are what made me start to wonder about the Samaritans and I suppose I could have mentioned that.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

Probably it is important to understand the Samaritan_Pentateuch (which I don't)
Modern scholarship connects the formation of the Samaritan community with events which followed the Babylonian Captivity.
The schism has to happen after the Pentateuch is known, which can be pretty much no earlier than the Persian period. Sort of fits in with Ezra Nehemiah, as the wiki states -
According to a view based on the biblical Book of Ezra (Ezra 4:11), the Samaritans are the people of Samaria who parted ways with the people of Judah (the Judahites) in the Persian period.[7]
My own wild guess is that the schism happened much later, just general principles.
ConfusedEnoch

Post by ConfusedEnoch »

semiopen wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:38 pm
John2 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:11 pm It's looking like 75,000 is the number that many people like, but given such a wide range I'm inclined to keep Faust's comment (and Lipschits' research) in mind and think of it as being c. 100,000.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I've already noted that yours is worthless.

Your Lipschitz fragment is an estimate from the end of the Iron age.

Time_periods_in_the_Palestine_region dates the Iron age in Palestine from 1000 to 732 BCE, so the 108,000 is not from the time of the Babylonian exile.

I guess that's one of the reasons many people think you are an imbecile.

Your treatment of John is absolutely disgusting and I truly hope that whatever you're dealing with at home stops being an issue soon, because if I were an admin I would ban you for your vile, hurtful attitude.

Sincerely, someone who thinks you're an imbecile.
Last edited by ConfusedEnoch on Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

awesome thread necromancy